Requeen every year

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CaptainCymru

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Dadant
Number of Hives
Just been reading a book I got from Santa called Wisdom for Beekeepers - 500 tips for successful beekeeping. Tip 345 - you should re -queen every year , surely that is utter tripe?

I have to buy in new queens, if I allow the most strains of bees raise their own Q then I always get a problems with fiesty bees which are difficult to work with...I have found that, locally, the Qs I get from Ricky Wilson are best for my area. I can let them raise a new Q ( they usually supersede at the end of the second year) and the resultant Q produces bees that "run" around on the comb, but are reluctant to sting. But the next cross are really nasty and difficult to work with.

I have to buy in new queens, if I allow the most strains of bees raise their own Q then I always get a problems with fiesty bees which are difficult to work with...I have found that, locally, the Qs I get from Ricky Wilson are best for my area. I can let them raise a new Q ( they usually supersede at the end of the second year) and the resultant Q produces bees that "run" around on the comb, but are reluctant to sting. But the next cross are really nasty and difficult to work with.
What type of Bee's?

What type of Bee's?
The worst "types" were the ones with "Buckfast" in them. Tried a Q from a reputable dealer who said there was no "Buckfast" in the "genetics". I raised a Q from her shortly after I received her. The daughters offspring were real beasts. We have a problem beek locally that delibretly keeps viciuos bees to deter vandalism.

Ideally, I personally would love to get queens less than 6 months old at the first brood cycle in winter/spring.

The worst "types" were the ones with "Buckfast" in them. Tried a Q from a reputable dealer who said there was no "Buckfast" in the "genetics". I raised a Q from her shortly after I received her. The daughters offspring were real beasts. We have a problem beek locally that delibretly keeps viciuos bees to deter vandalism.

Could you PM me said reputable dealer, I am ordering Queens for spring.

Ideally, I personally would love to get queens less than 6 months old at the first brood cycle in winter/spring.
Two years for me. I've got queen's going into there third but they are getting requeened.
I have a 2 I raised last season which
Are vile colonys they are getting requeened in the spring maybe even united.

Just been reading a book I got from Santa called Wisdom for Beekeepers - 500 tips for successful beekeeping. Tip 345 - you should re -queen every year , surely that is utter tripe?

Some of my hives requeen themselves.
I requeen after two years but one queen lasted 4 years - and was clapped out with a dead leg..

yes...
I think SWMBO I had that book for Christmas as well - SWMBO likes to give me a joke beekeeping book every year to pay me back for the hoover I bought her years ago
I think she went a bit too far in 2017 though - she bought me the BBKA book! :icon_204-2:

Latest posts

Back