replacing brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i still havent found a decent routine for swapping out older brood frames and am keen to get a process that works for me and further reduce risk of cbpv etc

every time i move older frames to the edge, they get filled with new nectar...i then try to use these for nucs in the hope that non flyers in a nuc will chomp their way through

what is the easiest process to follow do people find?

I've managed to get the bees to clean nectar & honey out an old frame by placing it horizontally above the crownboard, supported so they can get at both sides & scoring any sealed cells. You'll need an eke or empty super to do this.

i still havent found a decent routine for swapping out older brood frames and am keen to get a process that works for me and further reduce risk of cbpv etc

every time i move older frames to the edge, they get filled with new nectar...i then try to use these for nucs in the hope that non flyers in a nuc will chomp their way through

what is the easiest process to follow do people find?
I’ve started to overwinter more colonies on dummied down double brood. If you put any dark frames in the bottom that need replacing, the queen and brood is more likely to be in the top box early spring, so you can take the old darker combs out then. Good to have a source of newly drawn combs to replace them.

I’ve started to overwinter more colonies on dummied down double brood. If you put any dark frames in the bottom that need replacing, the queen and brood is more likely to be in the top box early spring, so you can take the old darker combs out then. Good to have a source of newly drawn combs to replace them.

That's pretty much how I do it.

James

Latest posts

Back