replacing British National Shallow brood with Deep Brood frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes jumbo is Langstroth

The "take two beekeepers-get three opinions" rule obviously even applies with our most experienced echelon of beekeepers!........and this, on such a simply (in theory) verifiable fact. "Extra-deep" makes most sense to me; as in "shallow, deep, extra-deep". The width is unchanged from standard isn't it? So the 14 x 12 description, which I think I've seen most frequently, seems odd.

Yes jumbo is Langstroth
The "take two beekeepers-get three opinions" rule obviously even applies with our most experienced echelon of beekeepers!........and this, on such a simply (in theory) verifiable fact. "Extra-deep" makes most sense to me; as in "shallow, deep, extra-deep". The width is unchanged from standard isn't it? So the 14 x 12 description, which I think I've seen most frequently, seems odd.

All Langstroth are standard, but some Langstroth are more standard than others, the frames come in three basic sizes —deep, medium, and shallow — with corresponding hive boxes.
Langstroth equipment accounts for about 75% of worldwide beekeeping kit, however within that term 'Langstroth standard' there are about ninety sub species, some of which are totally incompatible with each other. “ (Langstroth Bee Hive)
At least the British Standard doesn't heve so many variants.

Yes jumbo is Langstroth
Hi Dani

I understand that there are two depth size brood boxes for Langstroth. The standard size mainly in use but also a Jumbo Langstroth that has the same width and langth but the equivalent of a Dadant in depth. Paradise Honey produce two different brood boxes. I think the Jumbo originated in the USA but use seems to have died out. I know one Somerset beekeeper who has the Jumbo as his main hive.

568ml of bitter landlord, I don't think so.

Stop arguing. Extra deeps, 14 x 12 or Jumbo - they are still the boxes that accept the British Standard sized frames. Three different sizes - shallows, deeps and t’others above.

Latest posts

Back