Gunslinger
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
national
Number of Hives
Somehow it's escalated to seven.
Yes jumbo is Langstroth
The "take two beekeepers-get three opinions" rule obviously even applies with our most experienced echelon of beekeepers!........and this, on such a simply (in theory) verifiable fact. "Extra-deep" makes most sense to me; as in "shallow, deep, extra-deep". The width is unchanged from standard isn't it? So the 14 x 12 description, which I think I've seen most frequently, seems odd.

Murox 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
other
Yes jumbo is Langstroth
The "take two beekeepers-get three opinions" rule obviously even applies with our most experienced echelon of beekeepers!........and this, on such a simply (in theory) verifiable fact. "Extra-deep" makes most sense to me; as in "shallow, deep, extra-deep". The width is unchanged from standard isn't it? So the 14 x 12 description, which I think I've seen most frequently, seems odd.
All Langstroth are standard, but some Langstroth are more standard than others, the frames come in three basic sizes —deep, medium, and shallow — with corresponding hive boxes.
Langstroth equipment accounts for about 75% of worldwide beekeeping kit, however within that term 'Langstroth standard' there are about ninety sub species, some of which are totally incompatible with each other. “ (Langstroth Bee Hive)
At least the British Standard doesn't heve so many variants.

holmbee 

House Bee
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Hive Type
langstroth
Number of Hives
Yes jumbo is Langstroth
Hi Dani

I understand that there are two depth size brood boxes for Langstroth. The standard size mainly in use but also a Jumbo Langstroth that has the same width and langth but the equivalent of a Dadant in depth. Paradise Honey produce two different brood boxes. I think the Jumbo originated in the USA but use seems to have died out. I know one Somerset beekeeper who has the Jumbo as his main hive.

oliver90owner 

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Stop arguing. Extra deeps, 14 x 12 or Jumbo - they are still the boxes that accept the British Standard sized frames. Three different sizes - shallows, deeps and t’others above.

Latest posts