Replacing a National roof woodwork?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have been given some old hives which I am in the process of refurbishing. I'm struggling with the roofs - the metalwork is fine but the original sterling board and some of the sides could do with replacing. While I can find any number of places that will sell me a new metal top, nobody seems to sell a replacement flatpack with just the wood. Has anyone found somewhere that does this?

Before anyone suggests I just crack on and cut some myself, I could, but the chances of it sitting square and flat would be nil

I might. All my own hives are Abelo. It just seems a waste to take the roofs to recycling.

Although I swear by Abelo hives I did lose a brood box over winter. I stored it in the garage with brood frame in and the pesky wax moth got it. I couldn't understand why, when I opened it, it was full of white dust. On the photo, which is of the sidewall, each of those depressions is a wax moth pupa. There were hundreds of them.

Attachments

• IMG_20210415_152454.jpg
    IMG_20210415_152454.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 29
Good reason to use Dipel or sulphur before storing. Only happened to me once.
Yes - I lost an empty nuc with stored frames to wax moth a few years ago ... disgusting mess, totally destroyed - the holes were so deep in places they went right through the poly. Never again - all my stored boxes get treated with Dipel.

Yes - I lost an empty nuc with stored frames to wax moth a few years ago ... disgusting mess, totally destroyed - the holes were so deep in places they went right through the poly. Never again - all my stored boxes get treated with Dipel.

Ha, I’ve hijacked my own thread, Still looking for someone who sells roof kits without the metal bits.

I used to use certan until it was withdrawn. The problem with Dipel is that it doesnt seem to be approved for use in this way. We were promised a certan replacement but it has gone very quiet. I’ll stick with sulphur strips

Ha, I’ve hijacked my own thread, Still looking for someone who sells roof kits without the metal bits.

I used to use certan until it was withdrawn. The problem with Dipel is that it doesnt seem to be approved for use in this way. We were promised a certan replacement but it has gone very quiet. I’ll stick with sulphur strips
No approval needed - it's not a bee medicine - it's for storing frames in empty boxes and the prevention of wax moth damage ....it works ....and it's so much cheaper than Certan was.

I’m sure you are right, but if I go to a reputable site to purchase some, I am greeted with this warning.

NOTICE
As from 26th Novemember 2015 it is an offence for anyone to purchase pesticides authorised for professional use unless they have ensured that the intended end user holds the relevant specified cetificate(s).

That puts me off a bit

I’m sure you are right, but if I go to a reputable site to purchase some, I am greeted with this warning.

NOTICE
As from 26th Novemember 2015 it is an offence for anyone to purchase pesticides authorised for professional use unless they have ensured that the intended end user holds the relevant specified cetificate(s).

That puts me off a bit
And if I follow that argument to its logical conclusion, I could spray them with arsenic.

- it's not a bee medicine - it's for storing frames in empty boxes and the prevention of wax moth damage ....it works ....and it's so much cheaper than Certan was.

And if I follow that argument to its logical conclusion, I could spray them with arsenic.

- it's not a bee medicine - it's for storing frames in empty boxes and the prevention of wax moth damage ....it works ....and it's so much cheaper than Certan was.
But ... it's not actually a pesticide is it ? It works by infesting the the wax moth with what is effectively a parasite (a nematode) ... I know the technical explanation is a bit more complex but let's keep it simple.

So ... your logical conclusion falls at the first fence ?

It’s listed in the catalogues as a biological insecticide. The warning I pasted above was from the dipel webpage of a major distributor.

At the end of the day, it’s entirely up to you what you use. I can’t see any risk at all in using Dipel, but having seen a friend being inspected recently by trading standards, I prefer to err on the side of caution. They took samples of his honey and tested it extensively for chemical and residues. I have no idea if bacillus Thurengis would be picked up, or whether they would care, but Im not taking the chance.

anyway, back on track, still looking for those hive roofs!

I have been given some old hives which I am in the process of refurbishing. I'm struggling with the roofs - the metalwork is fine but the original sterling board and some of the sides could do with replacing. While I can find any number of places that will sell me a new metal top, nobody seems to sell a replacement flatpack with just the wood. Has anyone found somewhere that does this?

Before anyone suggests I just crack on and cut some myself, I could, but the chances of it sitting square and flat would be nil

Make your own. Otherwise buying flatpack you might as well just buy then and can the old roofs.

Latest posts

Back