Repairing hole in poly hive

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi,

Some pesky insect has laid an egg in a hole it made in my poly nuc. It’s in the corner of the feeder just where the plastic cover fits. It’s annoyingly just about bee size. Any suggestions to what I can fill this with which won’t harm the bees as they will have access to it.

Thanks

As a basic tule use PU glue. IT hardens with water and attach to plastic.

A bee size hole ? That you may fill melted plastic, two component glue, and with many others. Wood glue does not work. Neither silicon.

Last edited:
top tip from Eric at Maisemore apiaries when I called there last month.
Ordinary portland cement mixed with PVA adhesive to form a thick paste and fill the hole with that.

Tetrion works a treat.

As does PU glue (as above).. 5 minute version for quick bodges - I mean exquisite invisible repairs...(not)

Or any cheap polyester body filler does a good job too.

Silicon sealer works well.

Used it many times, never shrinks or falls out. no effect on the bees either. Use a wet pallet knife to push it into holes or crevices.

But it'll fill a hole.

I does not. Silicon drops off. I have filled poly holes with silicon and it does not work at all. Vain to insist. British ask always best practice but in this case worst seems to be nest.

If I do glass aquarium, silicon is a good glue to that.

Last edited:
Not at all. IT does not glue polystyrene or other plastics
.l

Absolute rubbish, it works, I've done it many times without ANY PROBLEMS.

Latest posts

Back