Renewing journal subscriptions - UK vs US

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theworker

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I am based in Ireland and my Beecraft subscription is up for renewal next month. Enjoy the publication but it works out pretty expensive when P+P to Ireland is included (around 60 euro per year).
My question is do people think it is worth that and have people subscribed to the US publications like American Bee Journal or Bee World. What are they like. They would be nearly half the price even when posted to Ireland?

I know I could go down the road of just getting the digital edition but I like having the magazine to read.

theworker

As with most things, there are differences between beekeeping practice and experiences on the opposite sides of the Atlantic (and as for Finnish beekeeping....). Think American car and bike mags. Interesting but less relevant to your life. Best subscribe to something local.

A few years ago, I checked out ABJ and Bee Culture. Didn't like the frequent pics in ABJ of families standing by their hives. Opted for BC. Enjoyed it for a while but in recent years found that some regular contributors were padding out their articles (to fill space or comply with the contract).

BC postal delivery to the UK was very erratic. The Feb digital version may arrive Jan 20th but the printed version may not arrive until March.

Never subscribed to either of them. It's enough to put up with some of badly written* articles in BBKA News without encouraging more.

I have also found BC to be rather hopeless and inflexible. It's impossible to get them to respond to a query by email, no matter how many times sent or to the various different people there.

I also asked them about a combined print and digital subscription a few years ago and they said that was possible –-I just had to pay two subs for it.

You'd be right to think I didn't go ahead with that.

*Not arguing about content, but a lack of a decent edit often makes the pieces difficult to read.

I also asked them about a combined print and digital subscription a few years ago and they said that was possible –-I just had to pay two subs for it.
Not now - you get a paper copy and an email each edition with a login for the elecronic one. I subscribed last year out of curiosity - doubt I'll renew though.

Now I don't want the paper version, but I think I will give them a miss in any case.

I get beecraft with my BKA membership, I rather enjoy it. Although to be fair I probably get as much information off forums and blogs. The digital edition is probably what you neeed.

Latest posts

Back