Rendering lots of comb

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stedic

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As I’m switching from 14x12s to nationals I find I’ve got a steady supply of old brood combs to deal with. I plan to melt them down and use the wax as I get a could profit on it.

But...

It isn’t yet solar extractor weather and I have too much for my slow cooker method.

Is there a relatively cheap way for rendering down quite a lot? Ideally without attracting a cloud of bees to the garden!

Steam box in a sealed room is about the only way. You can get a lot done in a solar box in this weather though.
E

I use a wall paper steamer set in an old crown board or roof over a brood box of frames. put a sheet of mesh on an old solid floor to filter the wax at the bottom.

Lots of youtube videos of this method if you dont understand my instructions.

I was really surprised I didn’t get more through the solar yesterday. Perhaps didn’t keep it lined up with the sun well dnough. I’ll give it another run through today. Would certainly make life easier!

But how do you separate wax from propolis? I melted down a batch and it all stuck together. Made wonderful firelighters though.

Latest posts

Back