rendering cappings

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
i have left cappings in some 30lb buckets and now need to strain and render

i also put some into a plastic bag which now smells a bit

how do people clean and render cappings which are still/have remained in contact with honey?

i have left cappings in some 30lb buckets and now need to strain and render

i also put some into a plastic bag which now smells a bit

how do people clean and render cappings which are still/have remained in contact with honey?
I soak mine in buckets of water for a few days, then siv them out and soak them again I will do this two/three times untill the cappings are like flake, it also helps to run the cappings through your hands like your rubbing butter into flour.
I have been putting the cappings then on trays to dry out for bagging up.

I have a big 40 kg settling tank, put all the cappings in there then fill it with water using the jet setting on your water hose, leave overnight so that all the wax rises to the top then just crack open the honey gate and drain, fill the tank up again and repeat (maybe once or twice more) five or six hours between washes should be OK, the last time drain the cappings as much as possible then scoop up the cappings into a big bain marie pan (the bottom layer will still be pretty wet) when you render it down, scoop out the wax from the top of the pan and filter as the bottom third or so will be water and slumgum

i saw a video of someone boiling it all up in water and then filtering...does this reduce quality of wax?
you want to avoid heating the wax up over 70 - 80 degrees

boiling it all up in water
If you do, use soft water or rainwater; hard tap water will saponify the wax.

Dave Cushman's A-Z suggests for small quantities I start with a large saucepan about a quarter full of water that has been acidified with lemon juice, lime juice or vinegar (one or two teaspoons per pint of water).

Wax melts at about 62C, so boiling is unnecessary.

If you do, use soft water or rainwater; hard tap water will saponify the wax.

Dave Cushman's A-Z suggests for small quantities I start with a large saucepan about a quarter full of water that has been acidified with lemon juice, lime juice or vinegar (one or two teaspoons per pint of water).

Wax melts at about 62C, so boiling is unnecessary.
Lime and lemon juice is for pancakes. I made some yesterday for my wife with alzheimers and me so I really know best now!! And vinegar for cleaning the drains or on our chish-and-fips and mushy peas on a Friday. What else can I help you with? :LOL::LOL:

A few years back, one forum member suggested adding a few drops of sulphuric acid to the mix if you had green wax, which would then turn it back to a yellow colour. The idea came from Germany.

I melt them in hot water, and let the wax selttle out.. If water is boiling, it mix dirty and wax can not be separated.

After capping I let the wax stay on uncapping table 24 hours. I keep 15 W terratium heating cable under uncapping sieve.

Latest posts

Back