Rendering Bees Wax

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peadarg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hello fellow beekeepers

over the few years I have acquired a good bit of bees wax and now that things are beginning to quieten down, I am hoping to make a few candles. However trying to render the wax is a challenging especially if you want to get it really clear. So any advice on rendering wax would be much appreciated. I was thinking of using two Bain Marie pots to melt the wax and j clothes as filters, however I am open to suggestions.
thank you
Peter

Follow either of the above methods and you will have some lovely wax for your candles ...if you are going to sell them some nice cellophane pouches and a Christmassy ribbon will see them sell like hotcakes in the coming weeks ... Don't underprice them, wax is a valuable commodity.

Wow - are your candles going to be the stars in a BBC production then ?
I don't think they'll be much of a feature by the sound of some of the camera angles they were discussing but it's good for continuity as they don't burn down so fast

I don't think they'll be much of a feature by the sound of some of the camera angles they were discussing but it's good for continuity as they don't burn down so fast
But ....think of the marketing .... AS SEEN ON BBC TV ... prices can double !!

But ....think of the marketing .... AS SEEN ON BBC TV ... prices can double !!
I think I've managed to get my name in the credits as well so..........................

Thank you all very much for your tips and advice. I hope you and your bees are well. 👍

Is it in Welsh? The programme
No it's a short piece by a local writer, sort of a black comedy based on the strong local tradition of sin eating, Rhys Ifans did have an interest in taking the main role but I'm not sure whether he had time to do it.

Is it worth the effort ? You will have your energy cost, filter materials cost, mould cost and your time and effort.

I prefer to use my solar wax melters and use kitchen roll for filtering. The blocks of wax are traded at honey equipment auctions and to beekeeping eqipment suppliers.

Is it worth the effort ? You will have your energy cost, filter materials cost, mould cost and your time and effort.

I prefer to use my solar wax melters and use kitchen roll for filtering. The blocks of wax are traded at honey equipment auctions and to beekeeping eqipment suppliers.
Ah but if you enjoy it?

No it's a short piece by a local writer, sort of a black comedy based on the strong local tradition of sin eating, Rhys Ifans did have an interest in taking the main role but I'm not sure whether he had time to do it.
What he of Super Furry Animals, Notting Hill and Harry Potter - to name just a few ? Pity - your candle price could have been in the stratosphere with a name drop like 'As seen on BBC TV alongside Rhys Ifans' ' ... ah well, you'll just have to make do with 'Candles supplied by ...' just under the Best Boy credits....

What he of Super Furry Animals, Notting Hill and Harry Potter
And don't forget Twin Town, the cult film that really put him in the hall of fame.
I didn't ask Oliver whether Rhys was still playing Christmas Evans. I'll ask him when we speak next

Yes it is ... the filter medium used by Andy Willis (and me as it happens) is old flannellette sheets, it takes very little heat to melt beeswax and a couple of run through the filters provides lovely candle grade wax.

Look at what plain votive candles can sell for with a bit of clever marketing and a few hours to prepare them ..

https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/103...ick=1&frs=1&bes=1&sts=1&variation0=2120612644

Latest posts

Back