removing Supers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beepig

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
Thinking ahead now. Into my second year but first spring set up. I have three colonies all doing well, have as yet had no need to feed but made a batch of fondant as back up for early spring.
My query is, when is the best time to remove the super from the bottom and replace over the brood box.

I take mine off at first inspection. They are usually empty. Leave it much later and the queen might start laying in there.....given that the brood nest in sufficient space is rugby ball shaped (pointy end up).
That's no real problem if she does....you just pop an excluder between the two.

I do it in two stages. Remove the bottom super in really early spring. Wait until they start to build and there is a nice flow on and the weather warms and then put on the top over a QE. If however you are talking about keeping it as a brood and a half then why swap! Leave the half underneath. Not too clear about your intentions!
My brood and a half always has the half under the brood box!
E

If you take the super below off early and put it straight on top then the colony can have a lot of heat loss and will take it's time building up, If you get the timing right you can do it in one.

Thanks al great advice. may leave as brood and a half then

Latest posts

Back