Removing Supers advice.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If nectar is coming in that’s what they do. When the flow has stopped put an empty super on top of your crownboard then the wet one.
Better still store your supers wet over winter
That you, the empty super worked like a charm.

forget porter escapes, make your own rhombus escapes either fix the whole rhombus over a central hole or cut it in half and put the halves on the sides, you need an eke a couple of inches deep below the escape to give the bees room to move down:

View attachment 32743View attachment 32744

If you are going to clear the whole lot down you will definitely need more space for the cleared bees so you need to have an empty shallow (with frames) below the clearer board.
Quick question about this, I understand needing to add an empty super for space but when you say add frames, do you mean just frames or frames with foundation?

Last edited:
I think I've been very lucky and must be surrounded by a variety of rich forage. I'm semi urban/rural. Bees started on OSR which I think gave them plenty of early resources to build comb and expand. Then lots of bramble and clover and all the other wonders that people have in their gardens.

I managed 67.6kg of honey in total. This was all from two nucs that arrived mid April. There was a few splits along the way too. I ended up with 3 hives and 2 nucs from these initial two. I didn't take any honey off the nucs. Each hive was left with plenty of stores for winter too.

First year has gone pretty well I guess.
Well done! I am in a very similar situation here, but started with two overwintered hives (last year's swarms) and no OSR nearby. Now have 3 hives created 3 nucs from the two hives during the year. One of the two hives also had a supercedure. Have over 70kg honey already, with one super still remaining to be spun out. Looks like this year was good for us new beeks, or at least we started the right time :) .

I think I've been very lucky and must be surrounded by a variety of rich forage. I'm semi urban/rural. Bees started on OSR which I think gave them plenty of early resources to build comb and expand. Then lots of bramble and clover and all the other wonders that people have in their gardens.

I managed 67.6kg of honey in total. This was all from two nucs that arrived mid April. There was a few splits along the way too. I ended up with 3 hives and 2 nucs from these initial two. I didn't take any honey off the nucs. Each hive was left with plenty of stores for winter too.

First year has gone pretty well I guess.
Great start for you! No swarms, Bluebell?

Latest posts

Back