Removing Super Frames

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peebels

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
I understand that now is the time to be removing super, but what do i do with frames that are not totally capped, which is most of mine really. They do not appear that eager to cap off and finish a frame, they would rather start a new one, messy sods! I would quite like some honey too!

P

I understand that now is the time to be removing super, but what do i do with frames that are not totally capped, which is most of mine really. They do not appear that eager to cap off and finish a frame, they would rather start a new one, messy sods! I would quite like some honey too!

P
Not for everybody , mine are still in full flow with the Himalayan Balsam
so will be September before I take off

Grub

If its not capped, its not ready
It MAY be ready - shake it and if none shakes out then it is sufficiently reduced that you can jar up. Otherwise leave, or spin off for cooking honey.
I have removed all mine now that I don't want to overwinter as I don't want loads of ivy in.

do the shake test and see if any comes out or buy a refractometer. Ive taken all my honey off now and anything they bring in now is theirs.

it there was a small area of uncapped honey that dripped when shuck, could it be shaken out while the rest is still capped and they exstracted normally?

If you extract gently it will remove the runny honey- use for cooking- then spin off vigorously for the proper honey

If you extract gently it will remove the runny honey- use for cooking- then spin off vigorously for the proper honey

Read somewhere that if u stack supers bee/wasp etc proof and run a dehumidifier for a few days then you can reduce levels enough to ripen it. Whether shake method would tell you when its ripe i dont know, may need a refractometer.

yes, that what i do, but with only 4 hives, its easy to pre spin at low revs all unripe frames before uncapping

if you have more hives it would be a pain

KEEP it in the frridge, the unripe honey will last longer before fermenting

DON'T SELL IT

Latest posts

Back