Removing Queen excluder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fizzle

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
I've seen some posts where the forum member does not use a QX. Is there any rules you should follow to prevent Queen from moving up from the brood box into supers if you do remove the QX?

No she will anyway. That's the point. You let the bees make their nest the shape they want not the convenient shape you do
Unless you put a super of honey above the QX. She won't cross that.

Well I'm thinking that with supers over half full (building from the centre out) now might be a good time to remove QX with a flow going on.

Edit: Plus the Queen will be slowing down also.

While on the subject, I assume drones will be up in the supers also when QX is removed. Can they fit through the bee escapes when you want to remove supers?

While on the subject, I assume drones will be up in the supers also when QX is removed. Can they fit through the bee escapes when you want to remove supers?
They can't with Porter escapes, they'll jam them right up and trap the workers in the supers too, not so bad with Rhombus escapes but it can happen

Latest posts

Back