Removing plastic foundation

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dee6jay

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
As a beginner, I have acquired some brand new super frames containing ritecell foundation. Not wishing to experiment with this in my first year, I would like to replace this with wax foundation. How easy is this to do and how would I go about it? They are Hoffman frames

I don't know how your frames have the foundation held in, how they are nailed or if they are factory assembled frames. There's a chance it could be fiddly taking them apart and maybe damage them. Personally I'd just put them to one side for later and buy new frames and wax foundation. Then when you change your mind or you're suddenly stuck for a frame, you will still have them.

I don't know how your frames have the foundation held in, how they are nailed or if they are factory assembled frames. There's a chance it could be fiddly taking them apart and maybe damage them. Personally I'd just put them to one side for later and buy new frames and wax foundation. Then when you change your mind or you're suddenly stuck for a frame, you will still have them.

:iagree:

That's probably what I was thinking of doing. They are factory assembled and given to me by another beekeeper who had tried them before and decided his bees didn't like them....but hey they were free!!
I couldn't see how you would get it out without damaging the frame, but thought someone might know a trick!

If they are the Dadant manufactured langstroth frames? The foundation is located in the top and bottom bars, press the plastic in the middle and it just pops out. We have done many like that, a bit harder to put back in though!

Pry off the bottom bar of the frame and the Rite cell foundation will fall or pull out. Replace the bottom bar with suitable-sized staples or nails. Using stainless steel wire (can be galvanized), https://www.bee-equipment.co.uk/product-p/hd-130.htm wire the frame through the holes in the side bars (or if no holes present, drill two small holes in each side bar to divide the side bar into thirds, then wire through the holes (eyelets are optional), https://www.bee-equipment.co.uk/product-p/hd-190.htm fix with staples or nails. Use a wire crimper to tighten the wire. https://www.bee-equipment.co.uk/product-p/hd-144.htm. Then either using an embedding tool https://www.bee-equipment.co.uk/product-p/hd-145.htm or better still use a https://www.thorne.co.uk/frames-and-foundations/wiring-fixing-assembly?product_id=1832. Only turn it on briefly or it will melt the foundation into 3 parts.
Your frame size will be National, Dadant shallow (6 1/4" deep) or possibly Langstroth shallow (5") deep. measure the frame depth and check with Bee-equipment for the correct size (they are the agents for Mann Lake who make Rite cell). Some of the above products may be available cheaper elsewhere e.g. a wire crimper was only £1 from Simon the Beekeeper at the Beetradex.

Last edited:
I agree with tidymeup. .. just put some fresh wax on them and use them.
As long as they have a nice coating of wax on them there's nothing experimental about the process.
You will find pretty much universally that people having issues have tried to use unwaxed plastic foundation (or just did it in poor conditions in which the bees aren't interested in drawing foundation of any sort).

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

Ritecell flexes you can pop it in and out of the complete wooden frame if that is what you have. Takes some force but you can just remove it from the complete frame

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Exactly why people have problems, don't give foundation when the bees aren't in a position to draw foundation.

I have around 2400 sheets of rite cell, works a treat.

Why not sell the plastic foundation and frames on ebay and start afresh with all the dosh you make.

It's plastic imprinted with a hexagon cell pattern then lightly waxed

Ah yes. I've seen it. I thought tidymeup was implying that bees would use it when they wouldn't draw foundation. Plastic walls are one thing but frames? No thanks:)

Just a plastic version of embossed wax foundation. Gets bad press but my bees don't seem to mind it. Mann Lake product and as they have left the country I will gradually change over to wax.

Just a plastic version of embossed wax foundation. Gets bad press but my bees don't seem to mind it. Mann Lake product and as they have left the country I will gradually change over to wax.

you can still get rightcell foundation

As a newb I bought their modified national. It is nothing of the sort. Outside dimensions are national but frames and depth completely different. I can and will gradually convert to national but Mann Lake aren't really here any more Bee equipment import some of their stuff but I won't trust a continuing supply. I emailed Bee equipment when Mann Lake pulled out of the Uk (rapidly) asking if they would support the odd format bastardnational, I never got a reply and it disappeared from their catalogue. I will gradually get rid of Mann Lakes Ritecell and their mutant hives. They do not deserve anyone's business.

As a newb I bought their modified national. It is nothing of the sort. Outside dimensions are national but frames and depth completely different. I can and will gradually convert to national but Mann Lake aren't really here any more Bee equipment import some of their stuff but I won't trust a continuing supply. I emailed Bee equipment when Mann Lake pulled out of the Uk (rapidly) asking if they would support the odd format bastardnational, I never got a reply and it disappeared from their catalogue. I will gradually get rid of Mann Lakes Ritecell and their mutant hives. They do not deserve anyone's business.

Me to. Had bad customer service since Mann Lake became Bee equipment. Ordered national frame rests...got langstroth frame rests. Sent back, got same langstroths sent again. After third send back, gave up. No apologies, no refund etc, and I really can't be doing with their bastardised variation on our BS Nationals. Much rather deal with other independants such as Simon The Beekeeper, from whom I have bought lots of kit, and have never had a problem, and exceptional customer service, and BTW excellent prices.

Latest posts

Back