Removing dead winter bees

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pete darbyshire

Yes dear, I'll be in in a minute.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 (+ nucs and mating hives)
I made some nucs last year with raised entrances and an omf. On inspection this year, although the colonies are strong they have not removed dead bees from the floor of the hive. The omf has a carpet of dead bees. 3x of these nucs all the same compared to 20 nucs with bottom entrances and no dead bees.
Not wanting an answer.....just an observation.20220415_185001.jpg

I made some nucs last year with raised entrances and an omf. On inspection this year, although the colonies are strong they have not removed dead bees from the floor of the hive. The omf has a carpet of dead bees. 3x of these nucs all the same compared to 20 nucs with bottom entrances and no dead bees.
Not wanting an answer.....just an observation.View attachment 31414

Thanks for the warning. Small raised entrances definitely one to avoid then.

I will be changing them.
The idea was better protection against wasps in the autumn, there is block inside so the bees have to go down once inside the hole.... not an improvement!!

I will be changing them.
The idea was better protection against wasps in the autumn, there is block inside so the bees have to go down once inside the hole.... not an improvement!!
Interesting... you must have just made it too much hard work for them to bother removing the dead. It's amazing what they can do when they want to ...

One question might be ‘Why all the dead bees?’ Bees should survive the winter, not die off in large numbers - unless there is a reason….

One question might be ‘Why all the dead bees?’ Bees should survive the winter, not die off in large numbers - unless there is a reason….
Large numbers?
I am saying a few hundred bees in a rammed 6 frame nuc.
There is no issue with the bees, just an observation for anyone trying high entrances. I've never looked into a wild colony....but assume this happens. I know dead bees drop into the fireplace overwinter from a chimney colony.
I will make the omg removable so I can clean it. At present I have to remove the frames into another nuc and tip out the dead bees.

Latest posts

Back