Removing bees from Super

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hi
I left a super of honey on last year for my bees and took the QE off and over winter have been feeding fondant.

Now that spring is round the corner how do i take this super off and remove the bees from the super - after first ensring the queen isnt in there of course.
Is it just a bee escape job again under the super. I am worried that if i miss her and shes in the super she might get damaged trying to get through the escape being a big lass

Cheers

When it's a bit warmer (springtime not winter which we have now) put the super under the brood box, the queen will work her way up to the brood box -you'll know when there's evidence of brooding then put a QX between brood and super, wait until all the brood has emerged from the super and then remove.
If after you put in the QX there's no brood, then you have the queen in the super, remove QX, leave her work her way up and start again.

You can use jenkinsbrynmair's method but is open to the risk of losing the Queen by dropping her out of either the super or brood by the needless movement of both.

Don't use the escapes!

When its warm enough take off the roof and crown board and leave for five minutes. Most times the Queen, who hates the light will move down to the BC of her own accord. A puff of smoke and leave for a minute or two, then smartly lift the super off, put on QE and replace super.

Even after all this the Queen gets left in the super you can just repeat the operation in a few days time.

You can use jenkinsbrynmair's method but is open to the risk of losing the Queen by dropping her out of either the super or brood by the needless movement of both.

Don't use the escapes!

When its warm enough take off the roof and crown board and leave for five minutes. Most times the Queen, who hates the light will move down to the BC of her own accord. A puff of smoke and leave for a minute or two, then smartly lift the super off, put on QE and replace super.

Even after all this the Queen gets left in the super you can just repeat the operation in a few days time.

:spy: check super for eggs, check brood for eggs... the box with the eggs in will have the queen, either above or below the qe!

before Sir Oliver says... lets think about this.. bless him !

While I agree with Finman, I will address the comment by Dusty - a 14 x 12 full of stores is about the same as a deep brood and a shallow of honey. Now if the beek wants the maximum honey, then a 14 x 12 may not be the most economic route (a shallow and then filled with sugar honey in the autumn may be a better option).

RAB

BCbee
Looking at the forecasts I suggest you leave them well alone for the next two weeks. By the end of the month there should solid brood pattern which will make it obvious where the Q is

While I agree with Finman, I will address the comment by Dusty - a 14 x 12 full of stores is about the same as a deep brood and a shallow of honey. Now if the beek wants the maximum honey, then a 14 x 12 may not be the most economic route (a shallow and then filled with sugar honey in the autumn may be a better option).

RAB

Thanks, RAB. I appreciate your expertise.

So much to learn, too few brain cells still functioning.

Dusty

Hawk - not really viable just to leave it as the brood pattern is across 22 frames..

Latest posts

Back