Remotely controlled bee hive closing up system

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasilbvbg

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi there,
I'd like to share with all of you this innovation of mine. I hope it might be useful, please feel absolutelly free to use this in your personal projects! Any comments are welcome. I'm currently working on a project that is going to pop-up shortly. If you don't mind I'll inform you for this project as well when it's ready. Thank you!

Best Regards
Vasil Vasilev
vasilbvbg(at)gmail.com

--- outline ---
The innovation is related to automatics, telematics and implements in the beekeeping area. The goal is the system to assure bee hive colony closing up simultaneous in multiple bee hives during periods of poison hazard without manual activities to be necessary. Using a rectangular frame fixed immediately to the front panel of the hive and a mobile door moved by electrical motor the system provides bee hive colony close up into the hive. A local controller drives the process on hive level. A central controller provides central communication between the multiple hive local controllers and the operator. The telematics system provides control on group level on unlimited count of hives, thus rising significantly work beekeeper work efficiency when the number of the hives is high. The system protects the bee colonies through closing up always when it receives a command from the beekeeper. This way the system helps in bee extinction preventing.

--- full text ---
Please find pdf file attached.

Attachments

• Remotely controlled short term bee hive closing up.pdf
    127.8 KB · Views: 43
Last edited:
I don't have a problem with mass spraying, or enough hives to warrant memnot closing them by hand
E

Several issues as far as I can see:
1. Need for electrical source at each hive
2. Moving part reliability (locking bees in potentially for longer than planned)
3. Knowing when there is the possibility of crop spraying
4. Cost/advantage ratio
5. Beekeeper resistance to ANYTHING new
6. Need for entrance/hive modification

I think it's a back to the drawing board idea I'm afraid.

This way the system helps in bee extinction preventing.

Unless it also automatically lifts the roofs and fits travel screens to large colonies in hot weather it will cause a lot of bee extinction.

Unless it also automatically lifts the roofs and fits travel screens to large colonies in hot weather it will cause a lot of bee extinction.

Dear Hivemaker, please have a look over PDF file at that section:
B2. Local controller delivering following functions.
3) Monitoring the Internal hive temperature via B4 temperature sensor. Autonomous A2 door opening in case of internal hive temperature above predefined critical value. The purpose is bee colony protection in case of overheating.

Several issues as far as I can see:
1. Need for electrical source at each hive
2. Moving part reliability (locking bees in potentially for longer than planned)
3. Knowing when there is the possibility of crop spraying
4. Cost/advantage ratio
5. Beekeeper resistance to ANYTHING new
6. Need for entrance/hive modification

I think it's a back to the drawing board idea I'm afraid.

Dear Pargyle, your points are absolutelluy reasonable!

Points 1,2: I do believe technical points are absolutelly possible to be done, it is nothing so much hard and it is not a rocket sciense. But it is going to take time yes...

Point 3: I dont know how is the legislation in UK but here in Bulgaria there is a regulation making pesticide spreading notification to the beekeepers mandatory for the farmers. Since UK is still part of EU may be you also have similar regulations? I dont know. So point 3 is a matter of regulations.

Point 4: I believe this can be done at affordable price and we at our project are working especially considering this point.

Point 5: As far as point 5 is concerned you are absolutelly right and honestly speaking I dont know what could be done...

Point 6: Yes this makes necessary collaboration with a local bee hive producer for the mass selling of such a product.

Hive nursing have different goals in spring, summer and in late summer. I must take care about things according the goals. Bees do not tell, what I must do.

At first in spring is build up of the hive and many things in it.

Later special thing is swarm cell inspections weekly and at same time check amount of space and honey.

Even hive records are very limited and they same rubbish into their records

What you can see at hive entrance traffic? Something, but nothing what is inside. About swarming control ? Only that swarm has gone.

Ventilation system goes with my experience and I change it once in a month.

People love to measure moisture and heat inside the hive, but bees take care about that.

Last edited:
Dear Finman,

Very very good explanation why people like me are basically wasting their time :) Well as far as swarm detection is concerned we at our team are planning next stage of the project but it not going to be started soon. It comes to bee hive sound capturing and analysis. More on this topic:

(1) sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0168169908001385

(2) researchgate.net/publication/229224190_Monitoring_of_swarming_sounds_in_bee_hives_for_early_detection_of_the_swarming_period

(Please copy and paste these URLs in your browser URL field. another approach is to type "detecting bee hive swarm"in Google. Sorry, I still have no rigths to use direct URLs here)

Dear Finman,

(Please copy and paste these URLs in your browser URL field. another approach is to type "detecting bee hive swarm"in Google. Sorry, I still have no rigths to use direct URLs here)

I have 56 years experience about swarming. I do not know, what else I can learn about it. When I see Queen cells on inspection, it it swarming to me. Every year I forget to clip some queen's wing and the swarm goes to tree top.

I have read researches about bee voices, but I did not find out how they translated those voices.

When queens piip in the hive, the swarm is ready to go them.

Yes I found the research. IT said that temperature rise can be noticed 20 minutes before leaving.

I have read too, that when the swarm is hanging outside, it starts to rise its temperature to 39C in 15 minutes and then leave. 39C is bees' rapid flying temperature.
Swarm control cannot be this kind.

When queen's wing has bee clipped, the swarm returns to home after 20 minutes.

Well here (radio.feld.cvut.cz/conf/poster/poster2016/proceedings/Section_EI/EI_044_Strob.pdf) is stated that

"The bee colony produce higher intensity of sound at 240 Hz up to 21 days before swarming. This state is caused by bees meaning to start
construct queen cells. 8 days before swarming the maximum of sound intensity moves to 270 Hz. 1 day before swarming the maximum is at 300 Hz. He also remarks that bee colony produce higher intensity in range 300 – 400 Hz"

I agree that these research projects are still not mature, however we should know they posses really big potential.

New Project Announcement

Hi there,

I’m really happy to inform you our project Hermes Smart have started now! You are welcome to check site hermessmart(.)eu for more info.

BR, Vasil

Latest posts

Back