Remote monitoring

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Botanyloak

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This is more of a technical question but i was wondering if any other beekeepers out there use remote cameras to monitor their hives / hive entrances? Either linked to phone or web page or just traditional videoscreen at home?

Maybe of use; I have looked into recently and it takes:
Live:
  • A mobile phone (in a waterproof case and a nice data package)
  • An waterproof IP camera
  • Power source for both - wind or solar
  • It isn't going to save you much over just visiting
Historic (you can look later):
  • A wildlife cam - self contained. Records on a sd card and you have to change the batteries every now and again. They are also waterproof from £20 e.g.
  • https://banggood.app.link/xPWl91Lbdcb

Hello, Botanyloak! My friend used the remote cameras to monitor his hives and hive entrances for a long period, and he has a big territory, so for installing all the cameras in this territory, he asked the help of the professional security company https://wyesecuritysolutions.co.uk/ that did a great work with setting the system to monitor hives and another territory of his rancho. In my opinion, the price was too low, they did excellent work, and he has cameras in all necessary places.

Last edited:
I think it really depends what you're trying to get out of this. Camera's aren't a meaningful or effective way of inspecting hives until some form of moving robotic camera that's small enough to go over the frames is invented.

If you just want to watch them then there are a few options, several above. I'm assuming you want to watch in real time but there are more options if this isn't the aim.

In my garden bait hive I have a Neos Smartcam powered from an extension lead and just within range of the router. This is useful until frames are involved, at which point you need a big depth of box to get under and look up which risks brace comb. The Neos has pretty good night vision and relatively close autofocus so useful inside a hive or outside. Can also put a microSD inside which allows you to record continuously, the one I use stores a few days of content before automatically overwriting the oldest. Will be editing together a video of the recent swarm arriving soon.

There are some 'spycam' type devices which may have their own batteries and even mobile data sims in which may be small enough to fit inside the hive.

As above, mobile phone could be used- if you can find a way to keep it charged such as external solar panel then using existing stuff like the access camera function on google's 'find my device' would allow you to access the camera remotely as long as there is data. This would be a fixed camera.

An alternative is to use the mobile with similar power setup but tethering wifi so you can use a second camera which may have PTZ function. Have done this last year with the Neos Smartcam as a stationary cam sheltered from the worst of the weather (still got wet a few times) and it's still working.

For my sheep I use a Livestock Eye cam which is awesome, runs off a car battery or mains but won't fit inside a hive. Has own sim for 4G connection and PTZ, useful if want to look at outside of multiple hives from a security perspective as well as zooming in to check they're all flying.

Edit: groan, just realised the OP was over two years ago...

Last edited:
I know this thread's a bit old, but I couldn't resist chiming in. Remote cameras for hive monitoring? That's some next-level beekeeping tech, my friend! It's like having eyes on your hives 24/7, even when you're not around. Pretty dang cool, right?
Also, pay attention to Vivint.com. It offers some rad solutions for remote monitoring. They hook you up with smart cameras and a whole bunch of tech wizardry to keep an eye on your hive entrances. Their setup is no joke, man. You can link those cameras to your phone or web page for easy access, or even have a traditional videoscreen setup at home.

Last edited:
So much so that I can't yet face going back to it even though I really need to soon :(

James
I was pressured into being a doctor for so long by my father that I grew up confused and not knowing my own mind. I never became a doctor and went to university later in life but chose the wrong career. I know now I should have gone in to Ecology but too late now. I'm trying to improve in IT by trying to learn programming but it quite literally sends me into a coma.

I was pressured into being a doctor for so long by my father that I grew up confused and not knowing my own mind. I never became a doctor and went to university later in life but chose the wrong career. I know now I should have gone in to Ecology but too late now. I'm trying to improve in IT by trying to learn programming but it quite literally sends me into a coma.
It’s never too late! I changed careers about 5yrs ago. Best decision ever. I didn’t realise how unhappy and stressed I was until I left. I studied for my current profession in the evenings. Luckily I’m able to use the skills and knowledge gained from the old career in the new one.

I already have a degree and not eligible for another student loan. Don't have the cash to pay out right. Also have a wife and a small baby to support. I looked into Open University but their prices are extortionate now. I've had a look into it and don't see any viable paths to change careers. It's 'never too late' unless it is

Latest posts

Back