Remaining syrup in the BB

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Most of my hives are a good weight with fondant added as a back up… just in case! I can removed any remaining fondant in the spring, but what about any remaining syrup… is there a chance the bees could move it up into the super(s)? Not thought about it before.

They certainly will move it up if they don't use it. If it's just a frame or so I'm sure it will get eaten.

There is fine line with feeding! You want the bees using the last dregs of food just as they can bring enough nectar in to survive. Ofourse in reality that is nigh on impossible. Over feeding has become a norm resulting in early swarms and sugar in honey. If there are solid frames of food left at the first inspection that you think may be sugar then remove them, store in freezer for swarms or next autumn

Most of my hives are a good weight with fondant added as a back up… just in case! I can removed any remaining fondant in the spring, but what about any remaining syrup… is there a chance the bees could move it up into the super(s)? Not thought about it before.
Your bees will have stored both syrup and fondant in the combs i.e. sugar. There is the chance of sugar in honey if they have been overfed as @enrico pointed out. Consider carefully when your 'first inspection' might be. Where I am with my local conditions means it won't be until April even though I am itching to see whats going on - that could change of course according to weather and forage .

It's very simple. You bruise the frame cappings and put it in between brood frames and the next inspection will reveal a neatly laid up comb. Repeat until all combs in the BB are full of brood.

Latest posts

Back