Relocating robbing bees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newbeeneil

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
40 plus 23 that I maintain for clients.
Today I found a nuc that was being robbed by several of the adjacent hives so took immediate action, relocating to another apiary 3 miles away. I assume that since it was a rather overcast and drizzly day the majority of the legitimate occupants would be at home trying to defend the stores but when I closed up I'm pretty sure there was a significant number of robbers inside.
So.......... what happens to those robbers when you relocate? Do they try to take their booty to another hive at the new location or do they stay with the hive they have been robbing and add to the workforce?

Today I found a nuc that was being robbed by several of the adjacent hives so took immediate action, relocating to another apiary 3 miles away. I assume that since it was a rather overcast and drizzly day the majority of the legitimate occupants would be at home trying to defend the stores but when I closed up I'm pretty sure there was a significant number of robbers inside.
So.......... what happens to those robbers when you relocate? Do they try to take their booty to another hive at the new location or do they stay with the hive they have been robbing and add to the workforce?
This

R u sure?

I think the outcome would depend partly on the intruders-defenders ratio.

My assumption is that they would initially keep fighting. If there were few intruders than they would probably just be killed. Maybe if there were a lot of intrudes then some would survive the relocation then fly out with their booty and become disorientated. Once disorientated some may get lost and die, but some would try to beg their way back in. But if the defending hive is still on alert then the defenders would just try to repel them. So I dont think the robbers would join the hive unless they had overwhelming numbers.

Everything I just said is based on my assumptions, I have never observed such a situation.

So I dont mean to second guess your superior bee knowledge, but do they relay just all become buddies while the hive is being transported? And reliably so? You dont sometimes arrive to find they fought it out to the last few bees?

(Anyone reading this, please trust Dani's knowledge more than my assumptions)

R u sure?

As far as I can be

The above was Neil’s question.
The bees that survive do indeed stay with the hive. Where else would they go once they are moved away?

As far as I can be

The bees that survive do indeed stay with the hive. Where else would they go once they are moved away?
Deleted my reply as on reflection, it was in bad taste......

Last edited:
As far as I can be

Thanks.

Latest posts

Back