Regular Inspections

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karsal

Field Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
3 Pay*es Poly Hives 7 Poly Nucs
I know that as a responsible beekeeper regular inspections to see how the colony is progressing and for disease control/swarming is weekly activity.
However if you know your queen has lots of space to lay and nothing was of concern the previous weeks inspection then should the hive be left for a further week especially if they are on a flow and there is lots of room to store nectar.
Just cracking open the crown board could reveal an empty super so no need to disturb the colony for a little while longer as this knocks them back a little each full inspection.

I know that as a responsible beekeeper regular inspections to see how the colony is progressing and for disease control/swarming is weekly activity.
However if you know your queen has lots of space to lay and nothing was of concern the previous weeks inspection then should the hive be left for a further week especially if they are on a flow and there is lots of room to store nectar.
Just cracking open the crown board could reveal an empty super so no need to disturb the colony for a little while longer as this knocks them back a little each full inspection.

If colonies are through swarming and as you say there is sufficient space. They can be left alone to work the flow. Time to take a break from the last two hectic months.

Must admit I am growing to like the clear crown boards.

Mine has a empty super above one that is half full and there is plenty of space for the Queen too lay but they have still built Queen cells for some reason.:eek:

I .
However if you know your queen has lots of space to lay and nothing was of concern the previous weeks inspection.

Lots of space does not prevent swarming. NO booklet say that adding space is a swarming control method.

Swarming is honey bees habit to reproduce ja that instinct has nothing to do with space.

Depends on how many colonies you have and how many you can afford to lose.
After uniting everything that needed a boost I sit back and concern myself with the supers and varroa levels and the group that still need a queen.
The double nations get a quick tilt to the top box for a look under Neath for queens cells and that's about it.

If colonies are through swarming and as you say there is sufficient space. They can be left alone to work the flow. Time to take a break from the last two hectic months.

+1

Well, you are only saying this as you are all off on holidays. Then you can all come back as you are in good company and say well I never!
Mine are on a flow at the moment and have not started swarm preparations yet. Most of the swarm collection in this part of the world for me occurs in July.

Just been out for a wander and 3 of my 5 bait hives have renewed interest this morning. I collected 2 good sized swarms this week locally, one with a virgin (now requeened) but I suspect the other may be a prime based on size but haven't been through it yet to check. So I think I will keep up inspections here for a couple of weeks more.

IMHO you can tell quite a bit from the activity at the entrance of a hive and by hefting boxes which can completely eliminate the need to inspect hives regularly.

I only do full inspections in the spring and fall to rectify any issue before the flow and to zip them up for the winter.

IMHO you can tell quite a bit from the activity at the entrance of a hive and by hefting boxes which can completely eliminate the need to inspect hives regularly.

That is real humbug.

Halleluja.

Best way is to get a stock which is not eager to swarm. Otherwise they swarm. IT is in their genes.

But even those who have non swarmy bee stock, they do regular inspects. They do not want to loose those 20% hives , which however try to swarm.

Last edited:

I only do full inspections in the spring and fall to rectify any issue before the flow and to zip them up for the winter.

That is real humbug.

It pains me, but :iagree::iagree:

Collected a swarm last Wednesday, Demarree'd one colony this morning at the training apiary and confirmed another hive had swarmed

Lets ay that you must go away 2 weeks or 4 weeks. How so you make sure that your bees do not escape.

You do an AS and you give so much empty combs that bees will be ok.
You put the extra space under the brood that heat do not escape from nest.

Depends on how many colonies you have and how many you can afford to lose.

After uniting everything that needed a boost I sit back and concern myself with the supers and varroa levels and the group that still need a queen.

The double nations get a quick tilt to the top box for a look under Neath for queens cells and that's about it.

For urban Beekeepers surely it's not so much how many one can afford to lose as what effect a swarm will have on relations with the neighbours.

Latest posts

Back