Refusing Syrup so Fondant?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
To cut to chase: I am having difficulty in getting some Nucs to take down syrup. I am using Maizey and Paynes feeders. The bees simply appear to die on contact with the liquid and the remainder standoff. At first, I thought it was a commercial additive in the syrup, but a similar pattern applies to thymolated syrup. Example: Fresh feeder and within two hours a simple line of dead bees floating at the contact line and some few others standing off [not a crush]. So, my question: Is it appropriate to simply add Fondant in place of syrup at this time? I would normally add fondant to lighter hives in spring. Any suggestions/observations welcome.

Sounds very odd, I have nucs draining these type of feeders. I use invert with and without thymol, all colonies have had both and no dead bees.

Even the ones in the cup float back up with mine. :)
Yes same here. I use the 2 litre rapid feeders and fill them as soon as they are empty. I can fill them as fast as possible even with the cup full of bees. I just twiddle the cup and all the wet bees float to the top.

Noticed a cup popping issue with two feeders from maisemore, I was scooping bees out of the bowl last visit. Piece of slate and a stone hold them in place.

“very Odd” … absolutely! All hives were initially reluctant post Apiguard treatment to feed but got into stride and are now draining syrup down. However, Poly Nuc’s in the main, remain stubbornly reluctant with significant mortality rate at syrup line and the two in question now dangerously low. I did try a contact feeder (in case temperature issue) to no avail. Fondant appears to be final throw of dice.

PS: Thank you for comments re “Cups”. Have them on full Colonies and earlier Forum tips on “wiggling/irritating” cups, have resulted in very few ‘floaters’.

PSS: Thanks for advice re Fondant and will apply tomorrow.

PSSS: Yes, we did have a few “Lemming” or Kamikaze rushes which settled … but the Nucs in question appears to be sip and die. … or perhaps high divers (into oblivion).

Ice on the car windscreen here yesterday morning.
Maybe the cold syrup is chilling them past the point of no return.

Ice on the car windscreen here yesterday morning.
Maybe the cold syrup is chilling them past the point of no return.
I agree, had this problem with some nucs in the past.

To cut to chase: I am having difficulty in getting some Nucs to take down syrup. I am using Maizey and Paynes feeders. The bees simply appear to die on contact with the liquid and the remainder standoff. At first, I thought it was a commercial additive in the syrup, but a similar pattern applies to thymolated syrup. Example: Fresh feeder and within two hours a simple line of dead bees floating at the contact line and some few others standing off [not a crush]. So, my question: Is it appropriate to simply add Fondant in place of syrup at this time? I would normally add fondant to lighter hives in spring. Any suggestions/observations welcome.
I've also had that issue in the past; feed an apiary and a couple of the colonies react as though it's poison, while the rest just guzzle away. I've simply pulled the syrup from those colonies that react and fed fondant instead. Irritating, because who wants to be feeding fondant in September? Especially when it's as warm as it was this year. Very keen to hear of people's experiences and reasons/solutions...

keen to hear of people's experiences and reasons/solutions...
Simple/Fast, less wasp/robbing risk less time suction.

I've fed about half a ton, later than September (due to weather shift) and Ivy.

For me, 12kg block, cut in half and placed on top of a QX. Either used poly CB's that have space, a poly feeder or empty brood box (I only use single size national boxes for everything).

Some hives remove the block in days, some months and some leave it till Feb.

Some people only ever feed fondant. Amongst the reasons they give are because it's less messy, less work and requires less kit than syrup.

James
I've been feeding fondant only for the last two years for those very reasons. Who wants to carry all that water around?
I cut the blocks into 2” thick strips so they fit in the 2” eke when my crown boards are reversed. They are wrapped in pallet wrap for transport.
8E012C0F-9982-400C-974A-CA45C7D5E739.jpeg

Last edited:
^^ Stick a QX on top of the frames (you might?) as the fondant can melt and kill the bees (and cause a real mess).

I have been feeding fondant for two years now for all the reasons above I think I wasted so much sugar as my bees never seem to finish it and it went all gungy - a technical term that. Also I feel fondant is cheaper these days though I haven't actually done the maths.

^^ Stick a QX on top of the frames (you might?) as the fondant can melt and kill the bees (and cause a real mess).
Never happened to me. I wrap fondant in clingfilm and roll it flat and score the underside with a hive tool. Bees gradually eat their way in.
However outside summer it is cool here - -2C this am - and I don't feed fondant on top bars in summer. Mini nucs have side feeders which work well in warm ambient temps - and not at all in cold.
SO adapt to conditions.

To save time, I take a 12.5kg block, cut it in two and place on the QX over frames. No rolling/wrapping or scoring and the bees have access over the entire hive. Bees also take offence to cling film and drag it into the hive, on the nucs they push to through the entrance and they can become blocked. If the unit dies I don't want the block stuck to the frames either.

If the colony is a decent size they can heat the slab and it'll turn over a deadly liquid, killed a couple of stocks that way when first testing fondant so good for new people to this method.

All this is geared around running many stocks and saving time BTW (and pain).

Latest posts

Back