Refractometers

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greatbigchicken

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I'm looking for some advise on buying a refractometer, I have read on the forum that the ones for around £18 in E8ay are reasonable quality for the money, but what I need to know is which one is it I need for checking honey.

Would I need the 58~90% or the 0~32% version?

Thanks.
not worthy

look for a seller called gainexpress that is who i got mine from

Well, you have both recomended the same one, so before anyone gives a differing opinion and confuses me, I'll get it ordered.

Thanks for your help.

I bought the same. Very good product at a great price. Be sure to order the reference block/oil

This prompted me to look at the calibration of my own refractometer. Such fun! The proper way to accomplish this is by using some sort of standard. Now the adventure: the only traceable standard test piece that I could find came in at a whopping £120. The refractometer cost me around £70. The cost of recalibration of the unit by the test piece supplier would be £50, though they could sell me a new refractometer for £40 (decent of them).

I have just ordered a GainExpress cheapandcheerful with test piece and oil for around £20, which I will use to check calibrate over the two devices that I will so proudly own.

No need to go down the olive oil/ sugar solution/ thread again (so laboriously debated some time ago). Thirty years in instrumentation convinces me that a reliable and repeatable reference (i.e. test glass) is the way to assure calibration (even if the instrument is manufactured by Mickey Mouse). What I get for my £20 remains to be seen!

Has anybody used a digital one or one that is just a wipe on and take a reading?

Would anyone like to do a video on how to use one of these things? It's all very well reading how to do it, but there's nothing like practical experience. While a video isn't practical experience, it is the next best thing.

Video would be welcome to all unless the Luddites object.

I was hoping there was one that operated on the wipe on - take a reading - wipe clean variety.

Video would be welcome to all unless the Luddites object.

I was hoping there was one that operated on the wipe on - take a reading - wipe clean variety.

Thats how they work place honey on the glass close cover to expel the air look through the eye piece and see the reading.
Then wipe it off.

Ours is foggy or we're not calibrating (<??) it correctly.

Hopefully, one that will do jam, fruit etc too.

Last edited:
I find that I need to look through it towards a bright light to get clear reading - if the light source is too dull it appaers more blurred on mine.

It's the new low energy bulbs! :mad:

Anyone know how to calibrate the gain express one? It changes depending on the position of the stone?

They're sensitive. If you've dropped one, throw it away. Look through eyepiece and rotate eyepiece collar to focus on reticule (display). Calibrate with dioptric oil as a means of securing good contact with test block (by capillary action). Sample must be at same temperature as instrument or temp compensation tables needed unless auto compensation variety. Point towards bright light source to read. Adjust calibration screw to calibration value. Reading will appear blurred if not good contact with fluid. air entrained in sample, not focused (or unit cream crackered).

That's about it really.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back