Refractometer

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildflower 123

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have just bought myself a refractometer and the instructions sayto place a couple of drops of distilled water on the main prism prior to putting on the honey sample to test. Just wondering what is the purpose of this, and does it need to be distilled water specifically or will boiled kettle water do?

I have just bought myself a refractometer and the instructions sayto place a couple of drops of distilled water on the main prism prior to putting on the honey sample to test. Just wondering what is the purpose of this, and does it need to be distilled water specifically or will boiled kettle water do?
Since you are measuring water content of the honey it seems crazy to introduce water into the sample. Are you sure you have read the instructions correctly? I could understand using a couple of drops to clean the prism face after use as long as they are wiped off again with a dry tissue before the next use.

Since you are measuring water content of the honey it seems crazy to introduce water into the sample. Are you sure you have read the instructions correctly? I could understand using a couple of drops to clean the prism face after use as long as they are wiped off again with a dry tissue before the next use.

Attachments

• 1658142030433771512730852728674.jpg
    1658142030433771512730852728674.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 2
Seems counter intuitive to me, adding water to a solution you are testing for water content. Refractometers are usually calibrated, test accuracy with some olive oil, it should read 27%
Out of curiosity, I would then test the honey sample following the instructions and again by just applying the honey.

Mine said the same. It is meant to test the refractometer but it is a waste of time. The chances are it is set up properly so DO NOT FIDDLE WITH THE LITTLE SCREW. You can test with a known solution such as olive oil. I keep a batch of olive oil in a sealed container. I use two drops every year just to make sure it is setright. The sealed bottle has the reading it should be on it.

I suppose pure water will be 100% so it's a calibration point I suppose.
I tested mine with ev olive oil and they both measured 27% out of the box.They haven't ever faltered either.
Fell over when I saw the price in game of thornes book- nearly four times what I paid

Water drops are used for calibration of refractometer for measuring fruits and veggies ( I measured brix in fruits - plums, pears, apples..). For honey refractometer is used some oil for calibration, I still didn't checked mine, but I intend to get that oil, but I am not in hurry since I got results of honey analysis from a lab..

Are you sure it is a honey refractometer? If you place distilled water onto the prism, all you will see is a blue screen. The refractometer you need should have
brix 58-90
be 38-43
water 12-27

Seems to be yes

Attachments

• 16581567455887416926615137137245.jpg
    16581567455887416926615137137245.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • 16581567871799207674597050905163.jpg
    16581567871799207674597050905163.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 1
Now I understand the operation steps, the distilled water is used to cool the prism down, then wipe away the water and add the honey. But that is a procedure I have never used or seen in the manuals of the refractometers that I have.

Now I understand the operation steps, the distilled water is used to cool the prism down, then wipe away the water and add the honey. But that is a procedure I have never used or seen in the manuals of the refractometers that I have.
The advice/instructions with the 2 (different make) refractometers I have recommend they are kept with the honey for 24 hours, so that they are both at the same temp.

Are the refractometers advertised at around £16 on ebay the same as those available in the usual beekeeping outlets? Images look almost identical so why pay more?

Is it poor translation into English maybe. Ive read that Rape seed oil can be used as a calibration fluid.

Are the refractometers advertised at around £16 on ebay the same as those available in the usual beekeeping outlets? Images look almost identical so why pay more?
Yes no difference, they're all made in China. I bought one for £11 there and it's the same excellent piece of kit. Make sure you get a honey one.

Reread the instructions .distilled water is necessary when calibrating the instrument.
wiping and drying the the prism is necessary to avoid diluting the honey sample

Back