Red lump on leg

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

THughes

New Bee
Reaction score
Number of Hives
Hey all

I'm not a beekeeper or even sure if this is a bee but when I saw this, I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts.

This little guy turned up at my window and I noticed the red lump on its leg. Any ideas what it might be?

Attachments

• 20210517_091607.jpg
    20210517_091607.jpg
    797 KB · Views: 80
Hi,
The red lumps are pollen. Bees collect pollen in little sacks on their legs. Are there any Horse Chestnut trees near you? It produces that distinctive red pollen about now. This bee is a worker honey bee. Workers are female.

Nice photo👍
I hope she made it back to her hive after her hard work collecting the pollen.

Here’s a similar one I took the other day. Got shed loads of Horse Chestnut close by.

Attachments

• A2C1E755-E866-43D1-BD6B-6C5C03DA7488.jpeg
    A2C1E755-E866-43D1-BD6B-6C5C03DA7488.jpeg
    77.6 KB · Views: 14
Hey all

I'm not a beekeeper or even sure if this is a bee but when I saw this, I thought it would be a good idea to ask the experts.

This little guy turned up at my window and I noticed the red lump on its leg. Any ideas what it might be?
Yes that is a honey bee and the "guy" is a gal with pollen on her legs. They use this to make bee bread to feed the babies. Great photo.

They use this to make bee bread to feed the babies. Great photo.
According to research by Randy Oliver and that he has collected from others that’s not quite true.
Larvae are fed royal jelly and fresh pollen. It was thought bee bread was a way of making pollen digestible but the lack of enzymes and bacteria in it seems to render that theory inaccurate. It’s now simply a way of preserving it. The main source of food for the nurse bees when protein stores are low are larvae which are cannibalised and recycled.
Have a look here
http://scientificbeekeeping.com/reevaluating-beebread-part-1-the-story/

Latest posts

Back