Recycling Deposit on Honey Jars

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
I always ask for empty Honey jars to be returned to me so i can recycle them for further Honey use BUT i only get about 5% back from garden gate sales and a lot of odds and sods from good intentioned people who just read return jars, that don't use but just re cylce

the farm shop co operates and their returns are 2%

Has anyone tried giving a refund or deposit for the jars i was think about 10p per jar, which is still cheaper than new jars taking into account the cost of a new sealing lid

Ive toyed with this thought and yes i think 10p on a jar or maybe a deduction of the next purchase would be a good idea :)

I have told people that if they bring back the jar after they have cleaned it I will re-fill it for 50p less.
(its not saving me money, but maybe will give return sales).

I have told people that if they bring back the jar after they have cleaned it I will re-fill it for 50p less.
(its not saving me money, but maybe will give return sales).

I ask them not to clean it, just in case they (with good intentions) put anything in it that could taint the jar,

with honey residue at least i know whats been in it :)

Jars are ok to re use but lids are a no-no as the seals wear out.

i may be wrong, but will it be worth it?? with the price of the jar lid and the deposit compared to a new jar?? ive thought about it and decided against it.i place a sticker '' please return jar'' as its more cost effective

You are probably right.
Whilst Jars do cost a bit, it is so much easier and probably safer to use new ones rather than recycled ones.

I always give 10p off for a returned jar and seem to have a decent recycle rate but as I only sell to people I work with or know socially it may be that recycling is easier for them as they see me reasonably often?
Cazza

Latest posts

Back