Record software

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShaneR

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Probably been asked a few times over the years but is there any hive inspection record software out there? and by software I mean stand alone running on my PC not these online record sites. I came a cross one piece of software called apis, but at £70 a chuck I won't be using that :rolleyes:

Who's going to develope a wing morph ap ?

Excel and a bit of imagination is all you need

Excel would not provide the features I would expect from a piece of software, excel is fine if you want basic records. I'm looking for something a little more slick and advanced.

Excel would not provide the features I would expect from a piece of software, excel is fine if you want basic records. I'm looking for something a little more slick and advanced.

Why? What on earth do you want to record that can't be done on a simple spread sheet? I actually use the notes section on my iPad. If I click on a previous note it shows me how many days have gone by since I made the note and that is the most important info you need.
Recording what you have seen just after you have seen it is all you need to do. If I need a reminder to do anything on a certain date I use my diary!!
Please tell me what else you may need to record that needs such sophisticated software that you need to spend money! Save it and buy another hive!!:):):):puke:

I could use excel if I wanted to, creating it would be a doddle, but like I said in original post I am looking for software, not some home brew spread sheet solution.

So, anyone know of any stand alone Software :)

I've tried 2 or 3 on android and I've gone back to paper cause its easier.

Probably been asked a few times over the years but is there any hive inspection record software out there? and by software I mean stand alone running on my PC not these online record sites. I came a cross one piece of software called apis, but at £70 a chuck I won't be using that :rolleyes:

I use Beetight, works well for me and free (or was) if you only have a few hives
S

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Why? What on earth do you want to record that can't be done on a simple spread sheet? I actually use the notes section on my iPad. If I click on a previous note it shows me how many days have gone by since I made the note and that is the most important info you need.
Recording what you have seen just after you have seen it is all you need to do. If I need a reminder to do anything on a certain date I use my diary!!
Please tell me what else you may need to record that needs such sophisticated software that you need to spend money! Save it and buy another hive!!:):):):puke:

We've just bought [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H7es6CkE8k"]'Noteshelf"[/ame] (£3.99) for iPad as it's simpler to write (with a stylus) rather than type in the field with it in a protective see-thru cover.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beh-51Xh2Sc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Beh-51Xh2Sc&feature=related[/ame]

We take a photo of the hives in each apiary (that's stock-take every week/time we go!) Hive numbers show up and written notes can include a photograph of the each hive showing number of boxes if desired.

All is written up at home in Numbers (Apple App an expensive £13.50!) which is much the same as Excel but easier to use and as powerful, giving us Queen lineage, honey per hive, honey per apiary etc etc anyway you want it really. If OH at home all is emailed and written up in no time. Also friendly honey addict secretary accesses on the web and she does it too.

Automatic syncing allows us to access it from anywhere and be up to date.

Last edited:
ShaunR

The software we have seen is not so desirable but here's some for you to look at:

http://tinyurl.com/cye7p24

I see you have not moved to Mac despite your need for smooth powerful operation and simplicity.

There was a chap selling an App doing what you wanted but we, as did others felt it lacked a lot. He also wanted £9 p.a. to allow you to use it. I believe it died quietly.

NBU have something you can use when you sign in but still lacks much and isn't software.

I could use excel if I wanted to, creating it would be a doddle, but like I said in original post I am looking for software, not some home brew spread sheet solution.

I can't say that I know any stand alone software and Excel is obviously the popular choice.

Perhaps some reasons as to why you want stand alone software and what you would like it to be able to do might help people give recommendations.

Once i've got a years experiance I *may* knockup an ipad app as i'm a software developer lot of work for little effort though Apples Numbers is the eqiv of excel probably all you need or if you need a stylus the app above looks good.

Whatever your definition of 'software' you're in the realm of defining requirements. Start with what you're trying to get done and how you'd like to do it.

Whatever your definition of 'software' you're in the realm of defining requirements. Start with what you're trying to get done and how you'd like to do it.
Steady - you're almost getting into solution design with "and how you'd like to do it" ;)

Far from it, even I would struggle to list all the perfect requirements, in simple terms I don't want to use excel, I want a piece of software with a frontend (GUI) that is purpose made for beekeeping, along the lines of APIS (this looks rather good but far too expensive http://tinyurl.com/c6osqmb ) or Bidata, this has a lot of features but is very dated and not at all easy to navigate http://tinyurl.com/cwles6g

Bottom line is I was wondering basically what software there is out there for beekeepers

And as for moving over to apple, not if I can help it, I'll stick to my PC's, windows, linux and android platforms, they are so much better :)

http://isearch.avg.com/search?q=beekeeping+record+software&sap=nt&lang=en&mid=916783dab2bb47d0ab71d179214c54ed-ad1491be2ce6c122f6b66faa90e70c2decf7d34c&cid={3a2dc3ae-946f-4938-a3df-d3058e4a0879}&v=11.1.0.7&ds=gm011&d=4%2F29%2F2012+8%3A03%3A21+PM&pr=sa&snd=hp

A word of caution though. It is all too easy to bog yourself down in a welter of info that in time you will discover the hard way you frankly do not need.

Beware.

PH

Latest posts

Back