Recommended poly nucs for Rose hives

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stevegk

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
Other
I would like to get the views of any users of Rose hives as to specifically what poly nucs they use or would recommend?
Eg Swienty, BS, Paynes, Maisemore ect
I have been building my own wooden nucs for the last couple of years but would like to change over to a poly nuc set-up.
I anticipate I may need to make some modifications to any poly nuc but I'd like to hear about it beforehand!!
Any advice appreciated

We have a few Rose /OSB colonies and generally use the timber Rose nucs, but as yet have never overwintered in them.
We have had to put the OSB frames into a Paynes pollys when we ran out of OSB nucs... just leaves a bit of a gap under the frames.. bees will pull comb down from the bottom rail, but this can be cut off when going back into an OSB hive.
My thoughts are to buy a couple of the 14 x 12 eke extension that Paynes make and cut to size?
I made some double dekker extensions for the standard Paynes poll nuc... before they made them commercially >
Possible with the other manufactures as well?

Chons da

If you want to operate the Rose Hive Method using poly boxes, I would go for Langstroth medium boxes as my OSB.

I don't think he wants to use the Rose Hive Method with nuc boxes, I think he wants a nuc box to use alongside his Rose Hives. So it would need to take Rose frames. But I could be wrong.

As Apple says, the frames will fit into any national nuc box, with a bit too much room below. Personally I like Maisemore due to the thick roof and ability to add brood boxes or supers, but if money was no object I might try one of the new Abelos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice guys, the overwintering of nucs on Rose frames (I only have Rose hives) is the main driver for my plan to go with the poly nucs. But I’m also impressed by the reported longevity of them too.
The langstroth suggested by gmonag in the link has a base that appears somewhat bulky but I like the possibility of using a divider for the summer shenanigans in the apiary when accomodation is at a premium!
I admit I was tending towards the maisemore. I’m not keen on an internal feeder, preferring a miller style.
But as I said I’m keen to hear the “poly nuc” experience from any “Rose hivers” ;)

I am satisfied with the Rose nuc (Rose box cut in half) so far, but I have not used one for overwintering.

Latest posts

Back