Recommendation for a small, manual extractor.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
I'm going to be extracting honey "a little and often". I may sometimes have some standard deep National frames as well as the usual shallows. I want to keep it simple, so compactness and ease of cleaning are very important. I can't remember which is most efficient, radial or tangential. I would really appreciate some guidance on this. Thank-you.

I used one of these:
4 Frame Extractor - Extraction - Maisemore Apiaries - but with the filter and tank - for two years.
Easily takes brood frames.
It is tangential so you have to rotate frames to fully extract.
I processed over 400lbs of honey in mine- and then bought an electric radial - which is more efficient, does not need frames to be rotated and costs a lot more.

I bought mine s/h ebay for half new price. (I had to travel 100 miles to collect)

Physical constraints means any extractor over 2 frames will be quite large.

You really need to specify how much honey per year and what are size limitations - if you want detailed help.

Sold it for my purchase price.

You really need to specify how much honey per year and what are size limitations - if you want detailed help.

Thank-you, and you're right. I'm in north Scotland and I don't expect ever to have a huge harvest or ever to have more than five Nationals. So I'm looking at the beginner level. It's already useful that @Erichalfbee has explained the benefit of a tangential extractor...so that part is decided. :)

Thank-you, and you're right. I'm in north Scotland and I don't expect ever to have a huge harvest or ever to have more than five Nationals. So I'm looking at the beginner level. It's already useful that @Erichalfbee has explained the benefit of a tangential extractor...so that part is decided. :)

The extractor I linked to would do fine for 5 nationals.
There are cheaper ones around.
But I would always go for one where there is spares backup as things like the perspex covers tend get broken...

For me space is a premium and I only have a couple of hives. Like the OP, I do about three or four smaller extractions a year. I have one of the basic 2 frame plastic tangential extractors. Only cost me around £100. It can take deep frames, and it's no frills but does the job.

For me space is a premium and I only have a couple of hives. Like the OP, I do about three or four smaller extractions a year. I have one of the basic 2 frame plastic tangential extractors. Only cost me around £100. It can take deep frames, and it's no frills but does the job.

It sounds like we have similar requirements and whilst I don't necessarily need the cheapest, Thornes have a great deal on a small extractor with an uncapping-fork and some buckets thrown in. :)

https://www.thorne.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=8071

Radial is easier for super frames as one can use a larger model for say 9 frames for the hobby beek, placing three screens in the cage can then turn it into a tangential for three brood frames. Best of both worlds I find.

I use unwired but have to be careful with any supers that contain pollen, gentle spinning is required.
It's can be awkward suggesting which extractor to buy or use, one thinks only one or two colonies and eventually ends up with far more.
I was fortunate at the start of my beekeeping, I by chance via the in-laws was offered an old nylon larger EH Taylor 3 frame tangential for £20, the cage was a bit crappy being old galvanised so revamped it for about £90 with a replacement SS 9F radial from Thornes, 3 x SS screens from Abelo made it applicable for tangential use again.

Clubs down here usually rent them to members for a modest fee eg £10 so have a look in your local association and try before you buy.

I believe tangential extractors are more efficient (i.e. get more honey out of the frame) and are kinder to the frames, especially if foundationless, but it is a pain to have to reverse the frames twice during each extraction. The solution is swing-cage extractors with automatic programing.

I have an old, second/third hand tangential that is manual. I would dearly love an electric as it kills me having to manually spin (I always welcome beginners who want the experience, even had school children once!), but, as I am usually doing about 60lbs it is really not worth me forking out more. I do share with a couple of other small, hobby beekeepers who live near me and always advise new beekeepers who are only planning a small, hobby set up to split the cost with someone local and do it together. Helps pass the time and helps with the whole processing, easy to scrape out with a silicone spatula between theirs and mine.

4 Frames Electrical Honey Extractor Honey Spinner Beekeeping Honey Extractor 8852101061525 | eBay

Beware this one as it is advertised a electric but it is a manual one as per the details. I have one (manual) and it works well and have had it for some years now. It was cheaper then like everything else!!!
I hope that isn't the dammed thing I bought last year that can take 4 or 8 frames that I have had to adapt to take national frames with plastic ties to hold the frames in place. I feel really stupid about being conned but am going to stick with it as I cant'bung any more stuff in my garage that my kids don't want when I fall off my perch, now can I? The Thorne one suggested by BeeBe above is really good imo.

I feel really stupid about being conned but am going to stick with it as I cant'bung any more stuff in my garage that my kids don't want when I fall off my perch, now can I?

....if you can then you should; they're only going to exchange all your "junk" and money for junk of their own...make them work for it!

The Thorne one suggested by BeeBe above is really good imo.

Thank-you; I had l aready jumped and ordered that one last night. I will report back as regards quality etc.
Incidentally,I've never dealt with Thornes before and their website information, images and then the delivery arrangements to Scotland are the best out of three suppliers I have now used. :)

....if you can then you should; they're only going to exchange all your "junk" and money for junk of their own...make them work for it!
They already have had the best bits and Iv'e given them loads of cash, furniture surplus to our needs now they have buggered off and/and/and/and.............................. and all they seem to spend the money on is multiple mobile phones and that ilk and skiing holidays is the latest and me and SWMBO rarely see them any more. Wonder why?:serenade::serenade::serenade::serenade:

Latest posts

Back