Recommend me a table saw

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

domino

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
This year there are a few things I want to make for myself. I've a small shed so size is a critical factor.

My budget is ~£500 and I want one which can handle 25mm ply but has a small footprint.

Ta.

But expensive. My friend who worked in a hardware/ tool merchant store used to say such expense could be justified by professionals who would have a total run time of thousands of hours for each tool, but us DIYers would be unlikely to get up to 100 hours. Cheaper alternatives would be adequate, provided they had similar features as the more professional models. It was good advice for me.

There is a woodworking forum which discusses the different types & models of table saw. My husband has found it very useful. He has one made by Charnwood.

Toolstation have a 10" Einhell on offer for under 100 at the moment
It's to replace the Term one which was a heap of junk from the start.
Cheap ones do the job fairly well enough for the DIYer but are let down by wobbly fences and poor angle/width adjusters.
And the safety guards are a liability.
500 would get you into a bit sturdier territory.

This year there are a few things I want to make for myself. I've a small shed so size is a critical factor.

My budget is ~£500 and I want one which can handle 25mm ply but has a small footprint.

Ta.

eBay item number:

I have one like this, but with a bench extension.
Single phase 3HP so need a class C 16A MCB in the workshop distribution board, the lights in the pub dim when it is fired up!
Bought second hand to replace the Rage saw bench that did not have the accuracy of cut I needed, the micro adjustment on the fence and the very solid construction is not to be found at this sort of price on even new machines, and it does not take up that much space.
Quite a few around if you look.

eBay item number:

I have one like this, but with a bench extension.
Single phase 3HP so need a class C 16A MCB in the workshop distribution board, the lights in the pub dim when it is fired up!
Bought second hand to replace the Rage saw bench that did not have the accuracy of cut I needed, the micro adjustment on the fence and the very solid construction is not to be found at this sort of price on even new machines, and it does not take up that much space.
Quite a few around if you look.

Yes, these old machines knock spots off some of the chinese junk that purports to be 'top of the range'. Startrite Inca are another good
brand that come up fairly regularly. I have startrite Inca planer thickensser - made in Switzerland to the same quality as their clocks and watches - 30 years old and as accurate as the day it was made. I have an Electra Beckum table saw which has done good service, cuts accurately down almost to veneer thickness but its only drawback is the table itself which is metal sheet and does not have a slot so limits accurate cross cuts - but my budget is a bit less than £500 .. and I have time to wait for the right machine.

Phil is about right. Saws are for cutting timber, not necessarily to absolute size. A planer thicknesser is the machine for that.

However, the OP requires to cut plywood - and planers do not like plywood, unless it’s one with carbide cutters. An alternative is to finish to size with a router after sawing. Often, saw cuts on one or two sides are acceptable for proper wood.

Size of pieces to be cut also needs to be considered. Sometimes a jigsaw or hand-held circular saw, to reduce full sheets to manageable sizes.

For most hive bits a chop saw, a planer and any decent table saw will suffice - as long as the motor has the power to cope with more than that required. Cutting blades are likely as important as the actual machine. Ply will cut to size without going mis-shapen; other timber is not always so accommodating from that angle.

Domino.... good luck in sourcing the saw of your dreams.

I spent my budget on a monster dust extractor..... now looking for a planer thicknesser!

Recommendations welcome

I am running my old floor parquet blocks through my planer thicknesser. It's a scheppach hms 2600 ci which I bought second hand. It's the first one I've ever used, but feels solid.

https://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/hms2600.htm

For my table saw, I picked up a Makita 2704, again second hand. I put decent blades on it, and it cuts through wood nicely. I've used it to cut through kitchen doors (very fine finish required) as well as large lumps of wood for rougher stuff. Works very nicely.

https://www.ffx.co.uk/tools/product/Makita-2704-0088381063524-240V-260Mm-Table-Saw.

I went through two cheap table saws and what let both down was that the insert the blade sits in the middle of was plastic and this led to some real inaccuracies.

I came into some cash and have bought a Charnwood table saw and it's a pure delight to use. If I set it for 297mm I get exactly that. What a difference accuracy makes but it does come at a cost.

https://www.charnwood.net/products/product/p8-cast-iron-table-saw-w619/category_pathway-122

PH

Ive used a cheaper table saw for years but it does have a pretty good fence.The inserts around the blades are a problem on cheaper saws but i made one to sit flush with the bed and wound the running blade up through the insert so theres no large gaps.I only need the original insert for angled cuts now

I'd recommend a cheap track saw,cuts sheet goods dead straight every time ,takes no room and very versatile.

Helen, it's been not so easy for me, when I was doing wood working, to find the best router lift in the ratio of quality and price. I was trying to help myself with router table, but it was not so comfortable in dozens of situations. Routers lifts can make much better, if you know how to use them properly.

Last edited:
Toolstation have a 10" Einhell on offer for under 100 at the moment
It's to replace the Term one which was a heap of junk from the start.
Cheap ones do the job fairly well enough for the DIYer but are let down by wobbly fences and poor angle/width adjusters.
And the safety guards are a liability.
500 would get you into a bit sturdier territory.

i recently bought an Einhell from Toolstation. The fence was not square with the blade (a good centimeter out over the length of the table). There is no way to adjust it. This makes it totally unuseable. Toolstation said it had been delivered direct from Einhell and they will contact me to arrange pick-up and replacement. That was a week ago and still no call from Einhell. Meanwhile I have no functional table saw, a giant box bunging up my garage - and Toolstation have got my £300. DONT buy Einhell and be VERY cautious about Toolstation. If they do not have what you want in their own stock - give it a miss!!

I use the dewalt table saw. Proberbly has the best fence for under £400 and is light enough to cart round to site. Mitre gauge however is pants. Guards are good and has a push stick that mounts to the fence. Also buy a good quality blade as that will make a huge difference to quality of cut especially when ripping. Regards jools.

If anybody is looking for a table saw still go with Parkside. They come at a great price and have a 3-Year warranty for peace of mind.

Back