Recombining

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beezy

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
hi,

I was hoping for some advice on recombining please. we had a swarm 2/3 weeks ago (our swarm) and hived them in our spare hive and fed with syrup as we only had 3 super frames and the rest undrawn brood frames, so wanted to encourage them to draw out the brood frames. they were taking syrup and my husband checked them a few days ago but found that they hadn't actually drawn out any more frames, just stored the syrup on the 3 super frames. also no sign of the queen or eggs but the bees seemed content, despite their appearing fewer in numbers than before too.

i can't check them myself unfortunately as i'm on medical orders to rest, but if my husband was to recombine this apparently q- hive, does he just shake the bees into our original hive? is there a need to do the newspaper thing if there's no queen to introduce?

thanks, any advice much appreciated.

Put a test frame in first to make sure there is no queen in there

I'm betting Veg is right and there probably is a queen in there in which case you do need to check first.
Cazza

Put a test frame in first to make sure there is no queen in there

Unfortunately I don't have a test frame to use as I only have 2 hives; one on jumbo frames and this one on standard national. If you think there's a q I'll get him to take another look though to make sure. Thanks!

swarms just need foundation.

you gave drawn comb so they set about storing rather than using.

where is HM to lay?

I gave 3 drawn frames as when I caught them we had the wettest weather and they wouldn't be able to get out and collect nectar. The rest were undrawn & they were fed syrup. But they still didn't draw the remaining frames.

Latest posts

Back