Recent beekeeping video I have my concerns.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curly green finger's

If you think you know all, you actually know nowt!
BeeKeeping Supporter
Reaction score
Herefordshire/titterstone clee hill/ Worcestershir
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
86 + nucs/ mini nucs
Has anyone else recently watched a video of a well-known beekeeper leaving supers lent up on there side in front of hives to be robbed out. (this time of year)
Not something I would do or even contemplate doing or recommend.
This was on FB and had 100s of likes... Am I missing something here??
Wouldn't you have wasps bumble bees, honey bees from a far coming to feed and fight over them??
I've had a feeding stations before, not something I'm going to do again.

I haven't seen the video, but it causes problems generally, particularly with fighting amongst the bees in the apiary, with ensuing mortality.

I haven't seen the video, but it causes problems generally, particularly with fighting amongst the bees in the apiary, with ensuing mortality.
I know it does, I've seen it with my own eyes. bees fighting with wasps and bumbles trying to get in on the act.
Why leave supers infront of your hives to be robbed out my the colonys not even a metre in front, why not nadir in that case? and remove them in a weeks time.

I'm not on Facebook, so I have no idea who you are on about. Can you post a link to the video? Without being able to see for ourselves, we only have your viewpoint as a reference.

The thing is there also one of my beekeeping equipment suppliers

So? Do you think if they have 100's of likes on the video, they will care about you questioning their methods? Are you sponsored by them or something?

I've seen the video in question but I think it had ten likes, unless it was shared elsewhere; but yes I immediately thought very poor practice.

I don't think it's a case of being intimidating but rather poor judgment which in turn encourages new beeks to try the same practises; especially when suppliers do these things then they are considered the norm.

Even the equipment they supply is seen like that ie many are still supplying crown boards with gaping holes, typically conviently sized for the silly porter escapes or roof ventilation holes is another done thing which is still widely accepted.

Don't be scared about posting a link to a YouTube video. The creator wants people to see it.

I must admit that I have done this with a super before, though I put it as far away from the hives as I could get in my garden. Haven't done it for a while due to disease-spreading concerns and the fact that it all gets a bit crazy.

There is another similar video from a well known YouTube beek here, and he goes into some detail about why he isn't worried about doing it (well away from the hives)

Last edited:
Has anyone else recently watched a video of a well-known beekeeper leaving supers lent up on there side in front of hives to be robbed out. (this time of year)
Not something I would do or even contemplate doing or recommend.
Wouldn't you have wasps bumble bees, honey bees from a far coming to feed and fight over them??
I've had a feeding stations before, not something I'm going to do again.
He should stop that **** pronto, imagine the consequences if unbeknownst to him one of the hives had foul brood.
Very irresponsible to advocate such careless practice.

I've seen the video in question but I think it had ten likes, unless it was shared elsewhere; but yes I immediately thought very poor practice.

I don't think it's a case of being intimidating but rather poor judgment which in turn encourages new beeks to try the same practises; especially when suppliers do these things then they are considered the norm.

Even the equipment they supply is seen like that ie many are still supplying crown boards with gaping holes, typically conviently sized for the silly porter escapes or roof ventilation holes is another done thing which is still widely accepted.
- Totally agree with you about the poor practice video, but I keep some of those crown boards as although they do spend large amounts of time with bits of slate over the holes, the central hole works fine with the lozenge-shaped escapes and the other hole is good with the plastic 'mini Ashforth' feeders I like - and that STBK also sells.

I have seen some pretty poor beekeeping in my time.
But for experienced beekeeper to do it and then video shows they are pig ignorant..
(That is the expurgated version)

No wonder us beginners struggle at times. How are we meant to be able to distinguish between good and bad practices when videos such as those above are widely available. :(

I know beekeepers that stack wet supers in their apiary to be "cleaned up" as they call it and advocate it to others.
The same area has EFB every other year and they have also had it in their colonies.
Too stupid to put the two things together.

To all,
No wonder us beginners struggle at times. How are we meant to be able to distinguish between good and bad practices when videos such as those above are widely available. :(
All I can say is you come on here and get some advice from the experts who between them probably have 100s and 100s and 100s of years experience (y)

Latest posts

Back