Really bad weather

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dfpebmcp8

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
1 so far
I Artificial Swarmed my hive on Friday last, tomorrow will be 7 days from I went near them. The weather here is awful, I was going to go to them today but it never stopped raining. Tomorrow is to be the same,(going by the weather forecast it is to rain nonstop for 36hours) what will I do? Do any of you open up when it is raining.
And if I can't open up what will the bees do, they will hardly leave in this bad weather.
I am sorry if I sound silly, I am new to this and need constant reassurance!!!!!!

met office says saterday should be ok. you could just bring a brolly.ive had mine open in mild rain but if you have the same stuff i have at the moment then they may not tolerate it.
welcome to the forum

It was lashing down here this morning. I went to check the hives after all the high winds last night and the ladies were out on the landing board despite the weather. There were a couple of what looked like chalk brood mummies as well (but slightly fluffy) so I guess they were just housekeeping...

It's not good here.I've a virgin queen waiting too get out to play, with more to hatch over the next few days.
Did you just leave 1 Qcell and was there eggs and larvae they can pull down emergency cells on?You'll need to check those out. Ive done it in bad weather but not like this. Deep breathes and cover clothes and a patient Husband with an umbrella helped!!

Horizontal rain has just stopped here. IMHO it's too windy to open a hive, let alone to stop an umbrella turning itself inside out.

Weather is too bad today but brighter tomorrow..

I am def gonna look in tomorrow if not this evening, Why did I ever start beekeeping!!!!:confused:
Will the queen leave in this weather. Does she have to leave once the queen cell is capped over??

I wish this legend was put to bed. NO.

Its a nonsense promulgated by goodness knows how but it is just not true.

PH

I wish this legend was put to bed. NO.

Its a nonsense promulgated by goodness knows how but it is just not true.

PH

Which one? The queen leaving as soon as the QCs are capped, or that the weather will be better tomorrow? ;)

Which one? The queen leaving as soon as the QCs are capped, or that the weather will be better tomorrow? ;)

Anyone knows the weather is ALWAYS going to be better tomorrow.... especially after today...we need storm drains as the normal ones can never cope with heavy rain running off the adjacent fields and down a road with a 1 in 5 slope...

As for queens flying in THIS weather? They have more sense...

Now now. Don't say that. Where would you be without them now, the little darlings!!!! Everything works out in the end. Thank God my bees are cleverer than me.
Your Q right AS "should" be satisfied now. sort out the Qcells and sit back and wait.. Patience is the beekeeping game.

The swarm has left because the cells are sealed. That rubbish.

PH

More reasons why the native bee is best pouring down here in the north-east and guess what,,,the bees were out flying today!

Sent from my MB525 using Tapatalk 2

Mine were flying aswell.
Got my apidea filled aswell no hassle either the colony was very well tempered considering .

Latest posts

Back