RealisiticTimescales for New Queen to Lay.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwt_uk

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello all,

In had a hive that swarmed 7 days ago. I left one sealed queen cell in it. I did an inspection today and the queen cell has emerged. How long before the new queen starts to lay assuming she makes its!

I have read varying accounts of timescale for new queens to lay. To thought I would check to see what others have experienced.

Anything from one week to six weeks........ Or never! Depends on so much

You shouldn't really have inspected today. The risk of squashing that virgin queen, or having her simply fly away from the hive, is way too high.

From now, don't inspect for 3 weeks at least. There's no point. As long as you think they have enough food, just leave them to it.

Don’t panic to much you have to be pretty unlucky to lose a virgin on any half sensible inspection…With good weather ball park2-3 weeks, anything over is diminishing returns for sure.

You shouldn't really have inspected today. The risk of squashing that virgin queen, or having her simply fly away from the hive, is way too high.

From now, don't inspect for 3 weeks at least. There's no point. As long as you think they have enough food, just leave them to it.
Thanks yes they have 1.5 supers of honey

In had a hive that swarmed 7 days ago.
. I left one sealed queen cell in it. I did an inspection today and the queen cell has emerged.
[/QUOTE]

There is another way to calculate.

Primary swarm left and so stopped laying.

From this point it takes 3 weeks that new queen is ready to lay.
It means too, that all old brood have emerged.

For forecast, it is same if it is couple days here or there. The process is however long and you cannot help it.

People are eager to tell how fast have been some their some queens, but records do not help.

Last edited:
And the swarm queen is not very valuable. Actually it has no value.

If primary swarm is gone, you hive is in crisis then you wait 3 weeks, that new queen starts to lay. Then you wait 3 weeks that new bees starts to energe.

6 weeks waiting and what?

One alternative is to buy a new good mated queen. At same time, when you wait the new queen to mate, bought queen makes one brood cycle.

And the swarm queen is not very valuable. Actually it has no value.

If primary swarm is gone, you hive is in crisis then you wait 3 weeks, that new queen starts to lay. Then you wait 3 weeks that new bees starts to energe.

6 weeks waiting and what?

One alternative is to buy a new good mated queen. At same time, when you wait the new queen to mate, bought queen makes one brood cycle.
Yes ...that's sound advice but where's the fun in it ? But ... I'm not a proper beekeeper like Finnie is !

Latest posts

Back