Real world beekeeping versus the forums, books and You Tube.

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 20297

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Last year, I think I had it easy, with several newly-formed colonies; inspections were calm, measured experiences, and afterwards, it was pleasing to reflect upon the achievements I had made.
This year, I have six, well-established colonies. Several of them already tower over me in a menacing way. They are bursting with bees, and swarm cells are popping up in the two largest hives.
You Tube videos, (@Black Mountain Honey excepted) show tolerably vibrant hives. usually with the bees confined to one brood-box, and with relatively calm bees and easily found queens. My reality is multiple boxes, elusive queens and sweaty pandemonium with some inspections.
Today the bees found my ankles....I think new wellies will be on order by this evening?
Any other new beekeepers feeling the strain? ;)

Last edited:
Last year, I think I had it easy, with several newly-formed colonies; inspections were calm, measured experiences, and afterwards, it was pleasing to reflect upon the achievements I had made.
This year, I have six, well-established colonies. Several of them already tower over me in a menacing way. They are bursting with bees, and swarms cells are popping up in the two largest hives.
You Tube videos, (@Black Mountain Honey excepted) show tolerably vibrant hives. usually with the bees confined to one brood-box, and with relatively calm bees and easily found queens. My reality is multiple boxes, elusive queens and sweaty pandemonium with some inspections.
Today the bees found my ankles....I think new wellies will be on order by this evening?
I always grin when I go into a new keepers first year hive. A fair amount of bees and everything pristine and clean. Little propolis, white or yellow wax. The queen strutting across the frame. By year two, they realise just how many bees you can get in a hive, and how many queen cells can be built in seven days. The wax turns back and the whole lot is glued together with propolis. There are drones everywhere, no kit, supers that never get capped, and now you realise why you shouldn't have bought a cheap suit!
Tears may follow and then they give up..... By year five you begin to understand that each pound of honey has cost you...... More than a jar of gold!
Good luck everyone who is in their second year. Please keep with it😁❤️

I always grin when I go into a new keepers first year hive. A fair amount of bees and everything pristine and clean. Little propolis, white or yellow wax. The queen strutting across the frame. By year two, they realise just how many bees you can get in a hive, and how many queen cells can be built in seven days. The wax turns back and the whole lot is glued together with propolis. There are drones everywhere, no kit, supers that never get capped, and now you realise why you shouldn't have bought a cheap suit!
Tears may follow and then they give up..... By year five you begin to understand that each pound of honey has cost you...... More than a jar of gold!
Good luck everyone who is in their second year. Please keep with it😁

Cheers....will definitely be keeping up with it.....but not sure I can keep up with the bees. ;)

This year, I have six, well-established colonies. Several of them already tower over me in a menacing way. They are bursting with bees, and swarm cells are popping up in the two largest hives.

To be fair, BMH doesn't sugar-coat it - his videos often show totally batshit colonies, with volumes of pinging bees that I would not want to deal with.

Latest posts

Back