Ready for Supers but..............

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bet

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
My new hive is going very well and has only one frame left to draw out. So ready to add supers but the bees have built comb/stores on top of 4 of the frames.

any suggestions about how to add Q excluder with out sqashing stores??

Thanks Bet

You don't want them there as when inspecting the BB in future, you will be hard pushed not to wreck them and get bees covered in honey. So for the sake of peace and as little disruption as possible in the future, think ahead. I'd scrape them off and drop them down into the brood box, for the bees to clean up. Then when you put the QX on, you won't squash it, you won't get honey everywhere and they won't build there again. It's more convenient for you and them.

I'd just remove it all. How are you going to examine the brood with all that burr comb on top full of honey anyway? Plus they will only add to it.

Once removed, add your queen excluder, super and crown board, and then put the burr comb on top of the crown board. They'll come up through the feed hole and take the stores away, especially if any cappings are damaged. Just don't leave it up there too long else they will make a wild mess up there too!

HTH.

The question is how was it that they were able to build this comb?

They should not have the space to do so which in turn says the beespace is not right.

If not corrected it will happen again.

PH

The question is how was it that they were able to build this comb?

They should not have the space to do so which in turn says the beespace is not right.

If not corrected it will happen again.

PH

agree PH., how much stores can you get in 7mm-9mm of beespace under the crown board ,can t visualise it ...yes i have had store above the crown baord in roof space when i have left it open ,but never more that bit of burr comb and drone brood above and under the crown

Rather than waste it you could eat it or put it above the crownboard for the bees to clean up.

I bet the wild comb on top of the frames came about because of no crownboard in place. I should know, I've done that myself ... see my album pics for the startling result!

Latest posts

Back