Re ~ Wilding Honeybees?

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
as with previous comments, the problem being the lack of tree sites, they are more likely to move into someones house, trying to encourage people not to use pesticides in their gardens, plant forage plants for bees and other pollinators becomes difficult when you have someone calling you for help as they and their children are getting stung by bees in their house, their attitude towards bees (all bees) changes.
imagine if when asked for help I said that I actively allowed my bees to swarm out into nature every year!

Also, do we allow all of them to swarm out into nature or only native AMM bees?
there are laws controlling non native species of plant and animal and to release them or allow them to escape is against the law, funny that this has not been associated to non native Honeybees.

a
Also, do we allow all of them to swarm out into nature or only native AMM bees?
there are laws controlling non native species of plant and animal and to release them or allow them to escape is against the law, funny that this has not been associated to non native Honeybees.

East answer, there are sub species which some do not want imported but there is no such thing as a non native honey bee (Apis Mellifera), they are all the same species.
S

East answer, there are sub species which some do not want imported but there is no such thing as a non native honey bee (Apis Mellifera), they are all the same species.
S

That's like saying that there is no native Hornet as they are all hornets just different sub species?

Native Amm only, the others would not prove sustainable.

The injection of the non-native subspecies could be argued increases the vigour of the local population. But then it could also be argued that this injection is now needed to slowdown/stop and natural selection allowed to proceed. Given the difference in how A.m. does its inheritance (gene recombination, super organism extreme polyandry etc) compared to conventional livestock, wait and investigate might be the best course.

By all accounts pete had his boys doing the uncapping at 6 months so you had better get the lad in training. My boy has just turned 4 and will be getting a small suit this season. Will also be sending him into show and tell with an observation hive

I'm the same as you Ian I also have a four year old who loves to come and inspect hive's observe through the crown board . He also tells me that there all his bee's and that they don't like mummy very much .
To bee a kid again they have no fear at that age.
On topic I agree with cheers it only for me becomes a concern when they have to be removed from someone's house , in reality I think we have more problems with wasps nests in houses gardens etc..

That's like saying that there is no native Hornet as they are all hornets just different sub species?

Correct they are sub species.
An Asian hornet velutina is a sub species of the family Vespa as is the European hornet. BTW there is also no such thing as a native hornet, they are European Hornets Vespa Crabo.
All honey bees (Apis Mellifera) including the black bee are sub species and NOT and never will be despite the bollocks put about by some, a separate species.
S

All honey bees (Apis Mellifera) including the black bee are sub species and NOT and never will be despite the bollocks put about by some, a separate species.
S

:iagree:

It'll be the big dog show soon, all the nobs from the kennel club inspecting pampered (inbred) pooches for the tell tale indications of the "true breed" characteristics.
i.e;
  • weak/dislocated hips
  • blood-shot / infected eyes
  • poor heart condition
  • short life expectancy
  • difficulty breathing due to distorted airways

e.t.c.
e.t.c.
:ohthedrama:

It'll be the big dog show soon, all the nobs from the kennel club inspecting pampered (inbred) pooches for the tell tale indications of the "true breed" characteristics.
i.e;
  • weak/dislocated hips
  • poor heart condition
  • short life expectancy

e.t.c.
e.t.c.

My pooch is a pedigree Parson Russell (see avatar), cost me a fortune! He is a smashing dog but, like you say he also has all the problems inbred into the breed, indeed he would never survive if he had to fend for himself. Had a farm bred collie before him and she rarely went to the vet, lived until she was 14.......when she then broke my heart
S

Correct they are sub species.
An Asian hornet velutina is a sub species of the family Vespa as is the European hornet. BTW there is also no such thing as a native hornet, they are European Hornets Vespa Crabo.
S

I think you are a little confused :confused:

The European hornet is the largest eusocial wasp native to Europe. It is also the only true hornet found in North America, having been introduced by European settlers in the 1800s, but that makes it non native to North America.

as far as I am aware nobody is claiming AMm to be a separate species merely a separate sub species which it is proven to be.

still, no point in...

:beatdeadhorse5:

Last edited:

The European hornet is the largest eusocial wasp native to Europe. It is also the only true hornet found in North America, having been introduced by European settlers in the 1800s, but that makes it non native to North America.

as far as I am aware nobody is claiming AMm to be a separate species merely a separate sub species which it is proven to be.

still, no point in...

No, I am not confused a little bit. I could as a professional ecologist for the last 20+ years, put my hand to a large entomology library and provide facts but really cant be bothered
S

still, no point in...

You have just confirmed what Stiffy was saying.

i.e;
  • weak/dislocated hips
  • poor heart condition
  • short life expectancy

e.t.c.
e.t.c.

This always makes me laugh. Selective breeding and pedigrees is so terrible for dogs but all other livestock bred similarly is acceptable and totally fine. Pity help all those artificial inseminations.

No, I am not confused a little bit. I could as a professional ecologist for the last 20+ years, put my hand to a large entomology library and provide facts but really cant be bothered
S

But you are forgetting, only one SUB species ever lived here, the others were brought over or man made so not sustainable.

Latest posts

Back