Re-uniting a cast

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardGatley

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I have a small cast colony which I'd like to re-unite with its home colony. Unfortunately the hive they are in originally only had frames with foundation. They were determined to develop comb hanging between two adjacent frames despite my best efforts to persuade them otherwise and now I can't separate the frames without loosing the hanging comb. There is only comb over 4 frames and the two frames stuck together with the hanging comb makes a great place for the queen hide. She has laid but not extensively.

The question is, when I reunite, do I put a queen excluder between the two brood sections and try to locate the queen later when the two colonies have made friends or leave the excluder out and let them sort out which queen to keep? I think I'd rather keep the queen in the original part as she is clearly laying well, though both queens are new this summer.

Anybody any suggestions?

You are going to lose that 'hanging comb' sooner or later? Yes?
So just find the queen, despatch and wait until no more queen cells can be built, destroy them and unite.

RAB

Thanks RAB,

Yes, I know I'm going to loose the comb it's just that I don't want to loose whatever stores or brood that might be in there if I can avoid it.

is the comb not loose enough to be able to wire (or elastic band it) into an empty frame?

Di.

Thanks for your suggestions. I took the plunge yesterday, broke off the hanging comb and found the queen. Sad to dispatch her. Have managed to wire the broken comb to an empty frame but don't know if it will be accepted. Fingers crossed.

Back