Re-queening

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Liam C Ryan

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
I intend to re-queen a national hive in the new year and would like to know how soon l go about it.
Regards
Liam C

Are you intending to re-queen from other existing stock or buying in a new queen?

Buying in a new mated queen from a reliable source

Last edited:

As soon as possible, first batch. What you ideally should try to prevent is a huge amount of brood being produced by the existing queen. My advice is when you come to re-queen bank the old one in a nuc box with some bees and brood just incase the new one is rejected. Give it at least 6 weeks then dispatch her and recombine, the remnants of the nasty bees should hopefully take on the attitude of the new colony (with any luck).

Good luck

If you are buying in the queen then the answer to how soon you can re-queen is how soon is the stock available from the vendor?

Cart and horse here. In right order preferably.

As for how much brood your colony has then to my mind the more the merrier, and I too would bank your "scrap" queen as in insurance.

It is widely written that it is easier to introduce the same strain to same strain.

If you are thinking of one of the more "exotic" types of bee then also consider who in your area keeps what as their drones are going to have an influence down the line whether you like it or not.

PH

Latest posts

Back