Re-queen and treat

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
50+
Just a thought,
Has anyone tried to re-queen and treat at the same time? My thoughts are that the vapours from the treatment might mask the queen pheromone you are replacing and allow the new queen to be accepted?
Cheers
S

Treat with what?....if its a thymol based treatment i would say there is more chance of them rejecting the new queen....as it has a habit of stopping some queens from laying,so a new non laying queen may not be very welcome,coupled with the initial slight upset caused by the fumes at a critical time like introducing a new queen..

Treat with what?....if its a thymol based treatment i would say there is more chance of them rejecting the new queen....as it has a habit of stopping some queens from laying,so a new non laying queen may not be very welcome,coupled with the initial slight upset caused by the fumes at a critical time like introducing a new queen..

Sorry should have said a thymol based treatment. As thymol does occasionaly stop queens from laying would this not be a potentially positive time to introduce?
BTW I am not going to try this, it was just a thought!

In the respect of stopping the queen laying then i would say yes,regards mite killing,but they may or may not be so willing to accept the new queen....but if the treatment had been on for say one or two weeks....they may accept the new queen more easily....got used to the thymol fumes.
I would rather kill old queen and treat for mites,break down emergency cells,and after 24 or days or less, introduce new queen when treatment is finnished. This also tells you that there was only one queen in the hive.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back