re Pagden

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
would it be a problem to slightly adapt the approach by, rather than siting the box with brood etc 1m aside and then move to the other to allow a weeks worth of bees to drift in....to move box with BIAS to a different area in same apiary and give the box with Q and flyers a frame of capped brood a week later?

would it be a problem to slightly adapt the approach by, rather than siting the box with brood etc 1m aside and then move to the other to allow a weeks worth of bees to drift in..
That in itself is actually a slight adaptation of the pagden. Unless you are obsessed with maximising the foraging force (I'm actually amazed that the BBKA promote this when in all other areas they seem happy to let the yield reduce to near BA :icon_204-2: ), it would be wiser to move the box with brood in to wherever you want it ( but not to another apiary miles away) then just leave them to it (obviously checking the Q- box a week after the initial move to remove any EQC's)

Last edited:
will do JBM...thanks....and fyi...the Q i split from the demaree had 3 more charged QCs in her nuc today (1 frame BIAS and the rest comb and 1xstores) so am assuming it was supersedure rather than swarming

will do JBM...thanks....and fyi...the Q i split from the demaree had 3 more charged QCs in her nuc today (1 frame BIAS and the rest comb and 1xstores) so am assuming it was supersedure rather than swarming
Looks like it - a Demaree puts a lot of pressure on a queen, obviously this one was found lacking.

Very strange figures. Your idea has nothing to do with badgen.

And the distance must be 3 metres.
Basic idea is to cut off swarming fever. And it does not happen, if you just split the hive.

Latest posts

Back