re homing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jezshim

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Got to move my bees tomorrow, no choice. They are in a 5 frame nuc and I have a brood box ready for them, question is do I put bees in new hive where the nuc is now during the day and move them late evening ?or move nuc to new home then re home in brood box the next day?

Jez

If you are moving them more than 3 miles keep them in the nuc.
If you are just transferring the bees from the nuc to the BB ON THE SAME STANCE... I would do it at around midday, the BB and nuc should not be not more than 3 feet from each other.

This method works just fine if you are simply transferring on the same site

Wait until evening when the bees have stopped foraging
Move the nucleus box to one side
Place a floor and brood box on the old site plus a stand or whatever arrangement you want
Open the nuc box. You can use smoke if you want but I hardly ever do
Place a frame of foundation at one end of the BB
Carefully transfer the frames to the BB, placing the first one against the foundation and keeping them in the same order
Fill up the BB with foundation
Complete the hive with crown board and roof
Any flying bees will be imprinted with the old location and will go into the new hive.

If you follow this method you will get your bees into their new home without too much trouble. I don't think I've forgotten anything but if I have, I'm sure someone will point it out.

Something I always find interesting is that if the height of the entrance changes, the bees will try to find an entry at the old height. After a while they work it out. Just demonstrates how strong the imprinting is

Last edited:
I don't think I've forgotten anything but if I have, I'm sure someone will point it out.

Yes, you omitted fitting the divider or dummy board. Very remiss of you.

The OP would like them to build up before the end of the season.

Timing is not as important as the weather conditions.

RAB

Yes, you omitted fitting the divider or dummy board. Very remiss of you.

The OP would like them to build up before the end of the season.

RAB

RAB can you say more about the use of dummy boards pls? Heve done a search and most info is about their use in winter, can't find anything here or in books that really explains the why's and where's of confining the brood now and obviously need to know more about it. How does it help?

RAB can you say more about the use of dummy boards pls? Heve done a search and most info is about their use in winter, can't find anything here or in books that really explains the why's and where's of confining the brood now and obviously need to know more about it. How does it help?

Assuming your Nuc is on 5 frames (at least 4 of which are already full of brood at all stages) then You do not want to give them a much larger space to keep warm. So you would transfer your 5 frames and add a frame of foundation either side of these frames making 7 in total. To block off the spare space in the brood box you would use a dummy board(s) either one side (if you are placing the 7 frames starting at one side of the BB, or one either side of the 7 frames. This cuts down the space the bees need to keep warm and helps them buildup faster.
As the bees draw out the foundation and start to use it you add 1-2 more frames of foundation, repeating the process until your BB is full and you no longer need the dummy board(s).

Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
can you say more about the use of dummy boards pls?

Thanks, Yorkshire bees. Some will say it doesn't matter a jot, but common sense tells me otherwise (for instance see the thread re 'Weather'). I have a divider with a small entrance at the bottom - for use with frames the warm way - starting them against the back wall, but now I am generally on OMFs, it don't get much use!

Regards, RAB

Thank you both; I was wondering about the use of dummy boards when I've hived a swarm into a standard national brood box but they are slow to draw comb (despite being fed) - would it be of any help to them then to restrict the space so they only have one to draw on each side of the brood?
Sorry to be so dim but there's a dearth of information about the precise use and function except in Winter.

How far is the move? And why do you have to move?

I am moving them about ten miles to a friends field then I can bring them back closer to me.
Had to move them they were right next to path at ex's garden and very very full so needed to rehome them as well.
moved them last night with a view to rehome them today but it hasnt stopped raining yet, maybe tomorrow

Latest posts

Back