Re-cycling and re-purposing

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My screws and nails are all kept in Douwe Egbert‘s coffee jars. Excellent robust jars too good to chuck out.
Having dismantled the tumble dryer, am still mulling over uses for the components.

My screws and nails are all kept in Douwe Egbert‘s coffee jars. Excellent robust jars too good to chuck out.
Having dismantled the tumble dryer, am still mulling over uses for the components.
I have all the workings of mine but the case, drum and assorted metalwork went to the tip ...I cried most of the way there ....

I have a few Douwe Egberts coffee jars ... they are nice jars and seal well with the plastic insert. Just wish they were square not round !

Philip, how will you ever move?
It's a question I occasionally ask myself and frequently get asked by 'er indoors ... I think I need to build a big shed or perhaps a warehouse wherever we move to and move my stuff first, son No. 2 has my workshop full of his engineering stuff as well to go ... once the important stuff has gone then.. the rest of the house pales into insignificance ... :)

I've just bought 30 x 1m 2x2 and 20 x 1m 3x3 lengths of second hand wood for the princely sum of ten shillings each ...... Bargain!! These will make bee eqpt, stands and moveable work benches for the workshop. Also, Just bought a "Willow" bandsaw with a 15" throat that was destined for the tip to help in the process.

I've just bought 30 x 1m 2x2 and 20 x 1m 3x3 lengths of second hand wood for the princely sum of ten shillings each ...... Bargain!! These will make bee eqpt, stands and moveable work benches for the workshop. Also, Just bought a "Willow" bandsaw with a 15" throat that was destined for the tip to help in the process.

is 1m = 1 yard plus 3 inches???

My vote is to go back to the "old system" of £sd and measurement.... mind you a gallon of petrol will be a horrendous price.

Problem is all those youngsters who struggle with "new pence"won't have a clue!!!

Nadelik Lowen

I like to mix it up...... gives people something to moan about.

Rumor has it that the clown who owns Trago Mills ( Pioneer Brexiteer) is going to ban all cars made in Europe from using his car parks in the New Year.... will be lots and lots of room for my ancient Defender then!!

Nadelik Lowen

Rumor has it that the clown who owns Trago Mills ( Pioneer Brexiteer) is going to ban all cars made in Europe from using his car parks in the New Year.... will be lots and lots of room for my ancient Defender then!!

Nadelik Lowen
Just as well its an old one then - the new ones are built in Slovakia.

Off thread slightly.
I use the net bag material that citrus fruits are packed in as a coarse filter when I am running off the honey from my 9 frame extractor.

Wife has alzheimers and has been accumulating junk for years that I didn't know about. Got rid of a huge amount of it, hundreds of plastic bags in particular. Got a plan I can use?

Well I haven't a clue what your all talking about... Ow yes I've just looked at my old ten pences two shillings.
Measurements I like to challenge our team leaders I did some plans recently and used all old measurements...(clients request) The amount of phone calls I had asking why I hadn't used metric.. I said if you want a Christmas bonus you will have to figure it out..

Last day today for them two weeks of..

Well I haven't a clue what your all talking about... Ow yes I've just looked at my old ten pences two shillings.
Measurements I like to challenge our team leaders I did some plans recently and used all old measurements...(clients request) The amount of phone calls I had asking why I hadn't used metric.. I said if you want a Christmas bonus you will have to figure it out..

Last day today for them two weeks of..

Seems its working

I remember my father telling a story from many years ago, probably late sixties/early seventies - they were working on one of the new steel mills around us and the foreman, Bob the gate (his grandfather was a tollgate keeper) came over with a shuttering job for him - it was to set the bolts that secured the rolling mill on to the bed, so he prattled off a load of measurments "500x500x600, 100x200x500, 600x600x600" and the list went on and on as dad's eyes grew wider "salvage the timber that's lying around the site, and get to it" were his last words as my father steeled himself for a day of scavenging used shuttering timber, denailing then cleaning the lot. He was still at it when Bob came back that afternoon "not finished yet!" shouted "about to start" said dad indicating the massive stach of newly cleaned 8x4 (feet) sheets. Bob went purple, was about to explode, then paled and deflated. You see, Bob, as his son Mike was a mathematical genius (who later became my tutor for beer money) had decided to embrace this new fangled Metric system with both arms................. unfortunately he'd forgotten to tell the rest of the carpentry gang!!!

Latest posts

Back