Rats

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have an electronic trap , problem is I catch mice by the dozen but rats never "RATS".

John Wilkinson

sorry milkermel but my rats have learnt how to lick clean the spring plate if you use peanunt butter, we used to use dog treats and the like doggie drops etc but they can eat them off the spring plate, I dont have mice just rats, all of my rat traps have to have a lengh of small chain attatched to them then they have to peged into the ground as they have a habbit of walking off with the traps, I have built and was given an electronic rat trap but these are not used anymore as the rats soon learnt never to go near them , evan with allertating the traps being live or off to confuse them and putting lovely fresh food inside them, clever little buggers

the meathod we are playing with at the moment which is complete caose but great fun is a trio of ferrets put under the shed where they live and then either dogs or shovels

used to do the air rifle bit but you had to wait a good hour before they came out and its tooooooooooo cold to do that plus i have other and better things to do

good point have you tryed the live catch traps i have some but dont use them cause im like a girl when it comes to rats just talking about it makes me feel funny

is there any chance I could find some thing of interest to swap with , for those cages, pictures of the queen perhaps????

I make most of my own catch traps out of pallet timber and garden chicken wire , i have evan made rabbit cages aswell, I love cage traps as you can release the unwanted un harmed, which to me is very very important, many a hedgehog as been given a hardy meal , given some de flea power and then released

If you catch rats in a 'humane, keep 'em alive trap' then what? it's illegal to release vermin in the UK. so, you have to kill them anyway!!

I pondered that one in the farm shop. What would I do with a live rat apart rom drown the little so and so in my water butt?

So I bought the kill traps. And so far I have to admit they are beating me, baits are going and no kill, no trap tripping either. I wrapped raw bacon round the trigger plate and still no kill. Thinking mice as well as?

Fenn is a 4 by the way is that light enough?

PH

Last edited:
yep you are right live catch a rat and you are ment to kill it - drowning is nasty imo another option is to carfully open door while there is a sack over end once rat bolts into sack seal and bash to pieces! barbaric but better than drowing!!

live catch is good but the cages are a bit pricey to start with.

joys of nutella is the fact that cornish rats are dead smart and easily get bait off a plate but if it is a gooy mess they stay there and lick it off end result :ack2:

£20 brought me a chinise air pistol and one point and bang and its gone evan i dont miss at 4 inchs

some of the rat baits on the spring plates i have tried and now they all either fail or get eaten are things like sliced mars bar, fudge, peanut butter, jam, roch hard sausages, dog treats and cat food, kids sweets, fruit gums the list justs goes on and on, evan with the poisons they will only eat that untill one is dead and thats the end of that

i let my friend have the traps, have you tryed glueing the bait on traps thats what i do with mice, i had some hard maize(sweetcorn) from my pigeon food and glued it to the plate works well but they always go for the chocolate

my rats are so well trained in the art of stripping traps it has to be seen to be belived, i have tried most things from super gluing dog biscuits to dipping the whole spring plate in hot melted choclate and they still work around it, there latest trick is to throw soil onto the back of the trap untill it springs then they help them selves thats why we are using milk bottle containers on the tops

Success!!!

This is a bit embarrassing really... Coughs and prepares to confess.

My fen trap has been highly unsuccessful. Until yesterday when I lifted it to check and see why the bait was going with no catch. OOOOPs but the bloody safety catch was on.

When I lifted it by the chain the catch had tipped forward. I reset it in lethal mode.

ONE very dead large rat this morning.

Bait? Berry flavoured suet pellets on the trip plate. Oh and the birds love them we are now feeding, robin, blackbird, song thrush, blue tits, gold finch, sparrow, and the occasional wood pigeon until I scare them off.

PH

Poly the rat probably got so large due to the food he was eating off the trap without being caught lol :cheers2:

Aye probably but it caught up with him.... fatally. ;)

PH

??

hi i work for rentokil so deal a lot with this kind of thing have you tried using sticky boards - they are a board which you put in the run i usually put peanut butter in the middle and the little darlings can't resist it and get stuck.

excuse me jumping in on this post, without a proper introduction as a newbie, but am also a pestie, and the above practise of baiting a sticky board, is TOTALLY ILLEGAL, so If this advice is taken, dont publish it on an open forum:rant:

although it doe's not state on the above advert that they are pre baited, unless Ive missed reading somewhere, lots of householders who treat their own pest problem, can get away with bending the rules a little, but a pest controller working for one of the larger companies, would have learnt the law/rules on stickyboards, unless they have only had "in house training" rather than the BPCA,

This is amongst the product details for the above site !

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, any animal becomes a 'protected animal' when it is 'under the control of man whether on a permanent or temporary basis'. Therefore an animal in such a trap is a protected animal, and if it suffers unnecessarily as a result of poor practice in the use of the trap, or through a failure to release or kill the animal in an appropriate manner, then an offence of causing unnecessary suffering under section 4 of the Act may have been commited.

From this it would seem to be perfectly legal to use a sticky board but obviously care has to be taken !!.

John Wilkinson

This is amongst the product details for the above site !

Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006, any animal becomes a 'protected animal' when it is 'under the control of man whether on a permanent or temporary basis'. Therefore an animal in such a trap is a protected animal, and if it suffers unnecessarily as a result of poor practice in the use of the trap, or through a failure to release or kill the animal in an appropriate manner, then an offence of causing unnecessary suffering under section 4 of the Act may have been commited.

From this it would seem to be perfectly legal to use a sticky board but obviously care has to be taken !!.

John Wilkinson

think we have crossed wires, its perfectly legal to use a sticky board, its adding a "bait" of any description, as the other poster quotes "peanut butter" that then makes it illegal

Just received a mail shot from Specsavers , I think I'd better take up their offer :cheers2:

John Wilkinson

Latest posts

Back