Rats trying to chew into polynucs

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cai876

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
None
Hi, at one of my apieries I have a few wooden hives and 2 overwintered polynucs. We have rats in the area and I think they have been trying to gain access to the honey by chewing at the entrance. One of the issues is that last night it span the door which nearly closed off the entrance. Wooden hives are all fine.

I'm not sure if poison/traps would help because I live at the edge of a city centre near loads of student houses bordering onto the hillside (wild woodland) and I think any rats killed would soon be displaced by other rats coming in from further afield.

I have thought that the bees would defend themselves but it worries me that the rat nearly closed the hive door. Any ideas of what I could do?

Attachments

• 20210301_141345.jpg
    20210301_141345.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 39
I've had this, doesn't happen that often I just patch them up. I'm going to make some tunnel entrances this year because last year the wasps went to town on my nucs and wiped a few out.

They should really be painted and I think that the paint taste might put rats off?

Last edited:
I've had this, doesn't happen that often I just patch them up. I'm going to make some tunnel entrances this year because last year the wasps went to town on my nucs and wiped a few out.

With what did you patch up?

If a rat really wanted to get in, it would probably make short work of a polystyrene hive.

They should really be painted and I think that the paint taste might put rats off?
Oh no it doesn’t!!!!!! There’s very little on the face of the planet that will put rats off.

I have a damn great spring-loaded rat trap with metal teeth right where ratty's throat would be. I think the mere look of it deters them. They are also scared of the grass snakes which nest in our compost heap most summers - I guess baby rats are a tasty snake snack!

Count yourself lucky. This winter I found poly nuc discs pulled off entirely and nucs dead; apiary near water.

Badgers got one of mine.... gurt likkin great hole and claw marks down the sides....... bees were still inside... happy as Larry!!

Hi, at one of my apieries I have a few wooden hives and 2 overwintered polynucs. We have rats in the area and I think they have been trying to gain access to the honey by chewing at the entrance. One of the issues is that last night it span the door which nearly closed off the entrance. Wooden hives are all fine.

I'm not sure if poison/traps would help because I live at the edge of a city centre near loads of student houses bordering onto the hillside (wild woodland) and I think any rats killed would soon be displaced by other rats coming in from further afield.

I have thought that the bees would defend themselves but it worries me that the rat nearly closed the hive door. Any ideas of what I could do?
Turn the disc round to the reduced entrance ...drill a hole and put a dowel through to stop the disc moving. I never have Nuc entrances on the full setting they really don't need that much ... helps them defend against rodents, wasps and robbing ...

Repairing the hole? Send me a PM and I'll turn a timber insert you can glue in place... wont stop the rats but it might discourage them. I've had a rat nibble away under one of my poly hives ... I sometimes think they just like nibbling polystyrene !

Secure your doors better? Improve your hive stands? Check your hives more regularly? You are the beekeeper.

Latest posts

Back