Ratchet straps

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BKF Admin

Queen Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Lidl are doing Ratchet straps for 99p on Thursday 15th July for anyone who needs to stock up for winter/moving hives.

Cheers, cos I cannot work the ones I have - bit of a figure of eight job- these look much better

The webbing on these do not last that long I know I use these a lot but only lasting one season if kept on the hives all year round, so false economy, it's best if you buy from thornes after all they are the best money can buy, and yes they can be a tad expensive but last a lot longer.

The ones from thornes that i use are now coming up to seven years old, and still going strong!

it's best if you buy from thornes after all they are the best money can buy, !

I have to disagree with you both. The Lidal ones look cheap, I always find the ratchet locking device bends and does not lock, or maybe I just over tighten?

Thornes might be better, but other places no just as good as them but not at beekeeping prices.

I only use for hive moving on a sale- so these will be fine- the ones I have now end up with me muttering darkly and tying webbing in a knot

They look good enough. Length might determine usefulness. The secret with cheap straps is to cover the webbing with something to exclude light. They will then last a long time. This one looks good as there is no second hook end, so the ratchet and spare webbing could be left under the roof - makes no difference to me as the crownboard has no ventilation and just insulation above, so even if the roof blew off (never yet happened), the bees would not really be compromised.

Further storing them in separate plastic bags is a tip as they always get tangled up, if not.

Regards, RAB

Ho hum it's the old story.

Buy cheap and then deal with the havoc caused.

I use spansets and have never had an issue with them. I have always called these items "Spansets" but that now turns out to be a company name so I have mailed them for a part no.

PH

Halfords, black strap roof rack webbing, v strong rachet, 5m long, enough for even the most optimistic of additional supers, 2nd year, not faded, or stretched, or scuffed / worn etc. £6.99 each from memory. Doesn't feel like a bargain - until your hives are in place and you see the fence next door blown down - then priceless!

Poly Hive, when you get the part no. can you post it?

I really like these straps and have tried to google to find a non bee related supplier of them (often cheaper if used for another more industial applications) but had no success using general terms.

Ta

Working on it, I googled the part nos from the strap last night to no avail so have mailed Spanset themselves.

With many years of ratchet strap experience with offshore baskets I am all too well aware of their issues and that is why I like the non moving part ones that I use.

PH

Right Jim find the strap on that site as I spent 20 mins last night going through it all.

Over you you Mr C Cloggs... LOL

5 tonners by the shed load and a very clever fool proof hook, but.... no wee hive straps. Hence I mailed them.

PH

Not the right ones Jim.

I know that Thornes have them but I want the part # to see if I can source them elsewhere as I need another 20 odd... cough..

PH

Those are not the one's Jim........them is ratchet straps.........the span set straps are not listed on there website.....they call them span set hive straps,cost is £3.02 each plus vat...and have to be ordered as they don't keep them in stock..takes about 7 days.

This is what they look like.

https://secure.thorne.co.uk/popup/ahard2.htm

With many years of ratchet strap experience with offshore baskets I am all too well aware of their issues and that is why I like the non moving part ones that I use.

PH

Are yes, I have put 2 + 2 = and got 6.

But still, just a phone call to them and I am sure they will help.

Are yes, I have put 2 + 2 = and got 6.

But still, just a phone call to them and I am sure they will help.

Cost is £3.02 each plus vat...and have to be ordered as they don't keep them in stock..takes about 7 days,direct from span set....

PH
I have those b....y straps in your pic- come and collect them- I hate them -Cannot get my head round their procedure for use:ack2:

Off to Lidl tomorrow- Only use when selling a colony so short term - dont need extra strong- Cheap is not always poor quality- bulk buy- pile high -sell cheap- quick turnover.

Try Wilkinsons. I bought half a dozen a couple of years ago. They were excellent quality and cheap. (Can't remember exact price) but they must have been cheap for me to let the moths out of my wallet!!!

Try Wilkinsons. I bought half a dozen a couple of years ago. They were excellent quality and cheap. (Can't remember exact price) but they must have been cheap for me to let the moths out of my wallet!!!

I gone some from there Brian, and they are very good (blue webbing)...and like you moths have set up homein my wallet.

But also got some that are yellow webbing and the ratchet is made out of coke cans, thats how thick the metal is, and they just pop off all the time.

PS In a bit of a daze today as just handed notice into current work, to take up new job. Set boss into flat spin as well:hat:

Latest posts

Back