Rapid Feeders, DIY a la H Pete's instructions -

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JCBrum

Drone Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
14x12
Number of Hives
8 ish
Needing some large capacity rapid feeders, (about 6 or 8), and seeing Thornes prices, I decided to review Hedgerow Pete's excellent video post and make a few up from available materials, - WBP ply and rescued pallets essentially.

I also had a few excellent instructional tips from Frisbee on carpentry and shed paint, (and a few other things like decorum and good behavior), and wonder whether readers would like to see a few pics of my home-made feeders.

Here's a pic of 'one I made earlier' in its finished state with folded metal lid.

it's 460mmx460mm externally, and 90mm deep internally. Following pics will show construction details

rapid feeder pic2

This shows the internal fitting which essentially a central diagonal slot, the walls of which the bees climb over, and then descend into two outer slots whose walls allow sugar syrup to flow underneath from the reservoir.

The slot is diagonal so that it doesn't matter where the low point of the hive is situated, and the slot does not meet the side walls so that when the liquid gets very low (2mm or so) the bees can walk under the slot walls and anywhere around the reservoir so as to clean it out completely.

rapid feeder pic3

This shows the bottom of the feeder with 7mm bee space and a 9mm diagonal slot.

rapid feeder pic4

Here is the internal 'dam' unit. It's four bits of old pallet with two squares of WBP ply and a piece of metal gauze for the top.

Note the gaps over which the bees climb on the two inner walls and the gaps under which the syrup flows on the outer two walls.

You've got to get your gaps in the right places. This one was painted with waterproof primer and will be overcoated with waterproof polyurethane paint.

rapid feeder pic5

Another view of the internal unit, from the other side showing the lower gap under the wall.

rapid feeder pic6

This is the last pic and shows a couple of the boxes primered and awaiting fitting or the internal unit by screws from underneath with glue sealer around the slot.

A special feature is the fitting of 'grab bars' on the sides (within 460x460) to allow easy lifting or movement of the feeder when it's heavy and full of syrup.

That's all folks, hope you found the pics of some help or interest. :)

JC.

Excellent job, finished to a high standard plus recycing old material , that's got to be a win,win situation :cheers2:.

Maybe your perforated metal cover could be flanged for removal for cleaning and allowing your bees access over the weir .

Forget the pre edited version. excuse being foot and mouth disease :confused:.

John Wilkinson

Last edited:
Very nice workmanship.

I take my hat off to you :hat:

Maybe your perforated metal cover could be flanged for removal for cleaning and allowing your bees access over the weir .
John Wilkinson

You're right John, ........... I only had a few scraps though and had to solder a few together to make big enough pieces as it is ..... I just stapled them on. The bees do have access over the weir underneath the perf metal.

Next time I'll do folded edges, thanks.

JC.

Last edited:
Very nice workmanship.

Thanks Onge, ...... I owe it all to Fris really, ...... Carpentry is the basis of our relationship ;)

We're a splinter group :)

JC.

Last edited:
can i just add these to this thread, my first attempt at a ba thanx too hedgerowpete for the video :):):):)

100_2241.jpg

100_2243.jpg

still to find a suitable plastic bowl to go over the top lol

Some great feeders here, I suspect there a likely to be plenty of over-indulged fat bees this winter!

:party:

Latest posts

Back