Rapid feeder

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clare p

New Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
WBC
Number of Hives
1 new Nuc and a swarm caught on the 10th July
Wow they live up to their names!
My bees have been pretty much ignoring my ice cream tub feeder, I thought they were just not hungry but after putting in my new feeder they have gone bonkers for it!! after 1 hour it was about 2 cm down!!!
and you can see through the cover their little tongues sticking out to suck it up. I am going to try to video it for closer inspection

Clare

With these they seem to take it whether they need or or not.

Wow they live up to their names!
My bees have been pretty much ignoring my ice cream tub feeder, I thought they were just not hungry but after putting in my new feeder they have gone bonkers for it!! after 1 hour it was about 2 cm down!!!
and you can see through the cover their little tongues sticking out to suck it up. I am going to try to video it for closer inspection

Clare

There were some threads a couple of weeks ago regarding winter feeding. Finman, for one, made the point that one shouldn't rush to feed until around late Sept., as the queen still needs lots of cells to lay in to produce the winter generation. I just posted this reply to another thread, then saw yours and it seemed appropriate again. At the moment they only want enough to keep them going if there's no flow on. If they have too many cells filled with stores, they can't raise enough bees to overwinter.

Oh blimey Skyhook - that's when it's useful to have some experience!!! I gave my girls 2kg to 1 litre on Thursday and was going to give them some more tomorrow. Do you think I should hold off for a while? They are still bringing in pollen (bright orange and bluey grey?).

Latest posts

Back