• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Beekeeping Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Rapid Feeder Wanted

Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum

Help Support Beekeeping & Apiculture Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeeFarmer

House Bee
Reaction score
Hive Type
National
Number of Hives
Hello,

I'm a new beekeeper who is just setting up. I'm trying to find a second-hand Miller or Ashforth rapid feeder for a National hive and was wondering if someone had a surplus one they'd be looking to sell?

J

Make one its really easy and much cheaper than new.

If you want to make a rapid feeder yourself I found a single drawer from an old set of pine drawers was a good starting point.

Hello,

I'm a new beekeeper who is just setting up. I'm trying to find a second-hand Miller or Ashforth rapid feeder for a National hive and was wondering if someone had a surplus one they'd be looking to sell?

J

No rush.
Such things are rarely used other than in Autumn (and hopefully you won't be trying a shook swarm this summer).

The round white plastic "4 pint" ('rapid') feeders are a good cheap starting point.

ADDED
Generally beekeepers rarely sell useful stuff second hand, unless they are either giving up or dead (and therefore consequently giving up).
The phrase "caveat emptor" needs to be borne in mind for all second-hand beekeeping equipment!

Last edited:
Take a Tupperware tub of a size that fits will inside your super, put in a handful of straw, leaving some up and over the side, and fill it with syrup.

Then place two strips of wood on top of your crown board (the two bits fitted to the bottom of a frame are about right)place this on your board and then the tub on top of them, then put on a super then the roof, costs next to nothing, you get all the bits back when your done and does not drown half your bees.

One thing though; the day after you start feeding have a little check to make sure they’ve found it 99 times out of a 100 they do, but yours may just be the ones. If they don’t find it then dribble a little (and I mean little or you’ll drown some of your bees) down the hole in the crown board and up the side of the tub.

I think I'll give the ice cream tub method a try since I've got plenty of straw to hand when on the farm. I'm sure I can find a few batterns to span the length of the frames too. As suggested I'm sure if I ran a little of the syrup along the end of the tub they'd soon find it. Thanks for the advice!

Latest posts

Back